Some basic questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So im still very new to this gardening thing and i just wanted to ask a few basic questions.

1. Is there a difference between pruning and trimming? Does one promote growth and the other not?

2. Should you always trim away suckers? Is there a difference between a sucker and a new branch?

3. Other than plant specific requirements, are there any major differences in weekly care between ornamental flowers such as roses and veggies/herbs?

4. Can you end up being a helicopter gardener the same way you end up being a helicopter parent? Should i be poking and prodding my plants daily? (I just had my first child and to stop myself from googling every single cough and sneeze wondering if its sids or what ever other horrible thing that can accidentally happen to my kid i have taken up gardening in the hopes i can spend more brain power on something useful for my family in the future)

I have a dozen or so pots of veggies and herbs in the back yard and to get the girlfriend involved i got her a bunch of flowers and a nice rose bush for the front yard. I have promised to keep the herbs and veggies alive in the back yard if she can keep the flowers alive in the front. (Secertly i am trying to keep the flowers alive too)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I can answer your number 2 question. Suckers are straight twigs that grow up from the base of the shrub, and yes they should be cut off. They also are different within the shrub as they are straight up, I like to say, reaching for heaven. You can note them at at odd angle upward from the natural curve of the shrub, and some smaller trees such as a Japanese Maple or an Almond tree. And yes you need to cut them away, a once a year walk around is good enough for the task.

For your number 4, my morning walks around my many gardens are done with a cup of coffee and a gloved hand, to pull a few weeds as I am traveling and make mental notes for what I need to focus on during the weekend. As my property is large, 3 acres and loaded with several garden features I will never have all perfect, so that is what it is. Maybe when I retire and can be in there everyday. But work and house stuff etc. all need equal rights on the to do list.

Last edited:

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will answer number 1 and 3 since Esther responded to number two and four.

Pruning is selective removal, it could be to remove diseased or damaged areas, to improve the plant, to stimulate the plant, and so on. Trimming is meant to maintain the plant overall in terms of shape and size, for tidying it up.

Each plant is different. There is no major distinction between what you call "ornamental" flowers and herbs or vegetables. Herbs flower, my garlic chives for example have beautiful flowers. Sweet potatoes have a lovely flower. So the term ornamental is subjective, just a matter of personal taste.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
one thing I learned from a wise old gardener, is to look for the branches / limbs of small trees and shrubs that are rubbing against each other. Over time the rubbing can open a wound and cause infestations etc. So you would select one of them, most likely the least desired direction and wack it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This thread is timely because I think our grape vine needs to be pruned - a selective cutting of 1 year old vines that later would produce flowers. I am crossing my fingers that my pruning was correct. And if it is then there will be flowers in a month or so. Am I correct on my assumption? With trimming, that is the indiscretionary cutting of excess branches and twigs that we do with our ornamental plants.

Ask a Question