Wet newspaper to control weeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Claudine, you crack me up! I admit i love seeing the pretty little flowers on some wild plants, and I think it's pretty cool when plants many people think of as weeds turn out to be edible or even medicinal. I wish I had more time to learn about positively identifying some of those useful plants that grow in my area.

My mother was good for that... she has passed now, but I do remember one that she used to get.

Baby fern shoots. You boil them and mix with sesame seeds and soy sauce. You can add hot pepper paste to spice it up too. I can't spell what she called it but it sounded like Coo Saw Dee. I used to eat them like crazy. You can also dehydrate them and save for later use. They preserve very well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newspapers to prevent weeds, who would have thought? I actually like when weeds grow, it makes me pay more attention to my garden as I have to pick the weeds as they grow. This is a good tip though. I may use it when I'm tired of pulling up weeds, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mother was good for that... she has passed now, but I do remember one that she used to get.

Baby fern shoots. You boil them and mix with sesame seeds and soy sauce. You can add hot pepper paste to spice it up too. I can't spell what she called it but it sounded like Coo Saw Dee. I used to eat them like crazy. You can also dehydrate them and save for later use. They preserve very well.

What an interesting coincidence! I have been looking for a source for fiddleheads and even trying to figure out what variety of fern is used so I could try growing them myself. I've seen photos of them used in flower arrangements and bouquets and I've heard about them being used in salads. Now that I know they can be dried, I'll have to look at some gourmet food places.

Where was your mother from?

Ask a Question