Bog/wetland plants

Reaction score
Country
India
So I'll be building a bog gravel filter for my pond this summer as it is really beneficial to a pond , you can see herehttp://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/ how it works. So if you've seen it then you'll know I'm going to need some plants that can live without almost any soil in water with lots of minerals.I found a list of wetland plants in a website and read about those plants separately and some plants were said to not survive water etc. So I want to know some plants that'll not die in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. :)

This forum has a sister forum... pond-forums.com maybe? Anyway lots of pond geeks there.

I have a small and humble pond...but I do have water lilies, that come up each year. And water hyacinth, water lettuce and lots of duckweed :eek: in summer...my pond has no filtration system so needs plants to keep it healthy in summer. I read somewhere that hosta can grow in water, it did fine all summer anchored in a pot filled with pebbles.

I imagine in your climate and with a larger pond, you have a ton of options! A pond store near me sells lots of fairly exotic aquatic plants but I don't really have the space.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I'll be building a bog gravel filter for my pond this summer as it is really beneficial to a pond , you can see herehttp://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/ how it works. So if you've seen it then you'll know I'm going to need some plants that can live without almost any soil in water with lots of minerals.I found a list of wetland plants in a website and read about those plants separately and some plants were said to not survive water etc. So I want to know some plants that'll not die in water.

I have a bog for my pond and it really works great! I can't necessarily make recommendations because I don't really know what plants do well in your area. I would recommend you try to use India's native plant species if possible. That's not always easy, and even in the US it isn't always easy to find places that sell native water plants.

One plant that works well in my bog even with our long, cold Winters is Blue Flag Iris
IMG_8966 copy2.jpg

I also added white Siberian Iris last year but haven't seen if it handles winter any differently in a bog compared to in the ground.
IMG_8867 copy.jpg

Hi. :)
I read somewhere that hosta can grow in water, it did fine all summer anchored in a pot filled with pebbles.

That is true. I hate hostas, but I do have two small ones in my bog. They were really tiny when I added them and I wasn't sure if they were going to make it, but once they had time to get bigger, they've been fine the last two years.

Reaction score
Country
India
I have a bog for my pond and it really works great! I can't necessarily make recommendations because I don't really know what plants do well in your area. I would recommend you try to use India's native plant species if possible. That's not always easy, and even in the US it isn't always easy to find places that sell native water plants.

One plant that works well in my bog even with our long, cold Winters is Blue Flag Iris
View attachment 16359

I also added white Siberian Iris last year but haven't seen if it handles winter any differently in a bog compared to in the ground.
View attachment 16360

That is true. I hate hostas, but I do have two small ones in my bog. They were really tiny when I added them and I wasn't sure if they were going to make it, but once they had time to get bigger, they've been fine the last two years.
First of all your blue flag iris looks stunning between the white Siberian iris, and after seeing them I'll love to have them in my bog but as you said I'll have to find some native plants for my bog and there are some sellers of plants around here but I'll have to find someone who can sell me native plants.

Reaction score
Country
India
I really appreciate your help but some of the plants that you told are for the pond itself and maynot survive in the bog, hosta may survive but I'll have to try.But the suggestion you made about the pond plants will help me in selecting ponds for my pond itself thanks alot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not knowledgeable on pond v bog plants.

That said...is it legal for you to take cuttings or rootlets from local waterways? I live in a region with swamps, rivers and lakes everywhere. I have often populated my little pond with wild irises, lilies and other aquatic plants. Not as showy as the ones found in pond stores...but hardy, pretty, free, and natural as far as I know.

Ask a Question