Weather

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, not as cold this morning. Prefer the mud to be frozen so the boys doesn't get muddy paws. Takes a lot of rubbing to get it off.
Temp 0 to 4

Sunrise 7.28
Sunset 17.17

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent pictures johnny; I feel cold just looking at them. :)(y)

Hello Colin,
I'm a coffee drinker and I do make it strong. Despite the cold I waited until it had warmed to -20C before hopping on my bike and heading down to the river. I'm sure I look silly biking in my -70C winter boots but they keep me warm. Oh and the long Johns, two pairs of sweat pants, two coats and a vest, a tuque and ear muffs plus two sets of gloves. lol

View attachment 32404 View attachment 32405 View attachment 32406 View attachment 32407 View attachment 32408

I used to wear two pairs of jeans and lots of heavy clothing during my biking days; I once rode 180 miles back home in a blizzard up the M1 motorway on my BMW 750cc motorcycle pictured below; the picture was taken on a rare sunny day back in 1972; my biking days stopped shortly after I married Bron when a vehicle was more useful and I've not been on a bike since.

Kind regards, Colin.

img020.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent pictures johnny; I feel cold just looking at them. :)(y)

I used to wear two pairs of jeans and lots of heavy clothing during my biking days; I once rode 180 miles back home in a blizzard up the M1 motorway on my BMW 750cc motorcycle pictured below; the picture was taken on a rare sunny day back in 1972; my biking days stopped shortly after I married Bron when a vehicle was more useful and I've not been on a bike since.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 32417

That's a shame! But then another vehicle costs ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What is your record minus temperature so far, Zenji?

-7?:inpain:

I wish I had bought one of those paraffin heaters for my lean to as it is freezing in there.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp. Looking back to 1973 when I traded in the BMW R75/5 bike shown in the picture for a brand new BMW the same colour and size this new bike with lots of extras cost a total of £1,700, in 1976 Bron and I tried to obtain a mortgage on a terrace house costing £2,200 and we were turned down. The bike was on finance and I worked night and day to keep up the payments the amount to be repaid in full in only three years whereas the mortgage would have been over 25 years. Bron and I sought financial advice and we scared ourselves by taking on a £6,500 mortgage over twenty five years but as I say this was way back in 1976. How times have changed since then.

I've just received an email from my old school chum Joan in Brisbane Australia and here is a clip;

We've been away twice this month and haven't been very lucky with the weather. The weekend before last we went to the Sunshine Coast, which didn't live up to its name and it poured down all the three days we were there!! This week we've been away in the caravan and it's been a heatwave. Between 36 and 40 degrees during the day and well over 20 degrees at night. Luckily we have the A/C, but it means you can't do much during the day. We are at Moore Park beach now, near Bundaberg, and it's a few degrees cooler, with a nice sea breeze, or should I say a sea gale!!!

Joan has the same luck as I have and must have her own Blackie to pour down for three days but where I'm grounded because the weather is so bad and cold Joan is grounded because it's too hot? I've just popped down to the workshop to collect a set of very small screwdrivers to repair Bron's glasses with; I didn't put my winter kit on but when I came back indoors I was perished; it sure is cold out there again.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just copied the picture below posted in our local paper of the sunrise this morning; Bron and I live very near Emley Moor transmitting station. When it's not pouring with rain; snow; hail and sleet etc in can be very nice here but unfortunately good weather is so rare.

Kind regards, Colin.

Emley mast at sunrise..JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely your snippet of your friend's tour. I love all the big houses in Australia, but the extreme heat like 40c is like a sin to me. And the intense heat attracts a lot of nasties .. spider, snakes,.. Quite unpleasant. So we really shouldn't complain. Like -29c for @johnny canoe . Extremes are so unpleasant.

£6500? Whoa! How lucky we are. We paid £77000 for this one and I arranged the mortgage to be a tracker one after the 2 year's fixed. Then we just overpaid to reduce the capital. Bought the house when son was born 1995 and mortgage cleared 2007. Now that son is out of uni, I don't want to count pennies. I just like to enjoy life and just don't buy things I am not keen like clothes.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A bit of heat here at least if it gets into double figures alp brings out more than bugs; it brings us no end of charity bags and reps wanting to sell us double glazing and resin drives etc; I'm always amazed by how many fast food flyers we receive from 6am some days; I daren't work in the workshop with the doors open because it attracts all these unwelcome visitors pestering me; last year in a way it was a relief that the constant rain kept most away but there were still plenty of callers dropping piles of litter through our letter box; even the post office these days joins in with endless trash. How strange too that many who ring our doorbell don't understand a polite "No thank you" I've even been informed at the door that at my age (I'm only 70) I shouldn't be climbing trees when pestered by tree surgeons; now I want tree surgeons to visit us they are suddenly extinct; I'm after free loads of wood chips?

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A bit of heat here at least if it gets into double figures alp brings out more than bugs; it brings us no end of charity bags and reps wanting to sell us double glazing and resin drives etc; I'm always amazed by how many fast food flyers we receive from 6am some days; I daren't work in the workshop with the doors open because it attracts all these unwelcome visitors pestering me; last year in a way it was a relief that the constant rain kept most away but there were still plenty of callers dropping piles of litter through our letter box; even the post office these days joins in with endless trash. How strange too that many who ring our doorbell don't understand a polite "No thank you" I've even been informed at the door that at my age (I'm only 70) I shouldn't be climbing trees when pestered by tree surgeons; now I want tree surgeons to visit us they are suddenly extinct; I'm after free loads of wood chips?

Kind regards, Colin.

Just post an advert in Freelywheely and you might get a response. That's why I got my last load. The person even helped us put the bark mulch or wood chips into buckets and boxes.

Yesterday, I as accosted by canvassers for councillor election. One asked me if I know they were doing a good job. I said no as I had never bothered him. I should have asked they only bothered me when there was an election coming up!

Loads of men holding cardboards canvassing for business early in the morning here.

Ask a Question