Vegetables you can regrow inside your house or garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I am not so sure about the cellophane over the soil of rooted plants. It works well germinating seeds, but i wonder about the possibility of mold. Soil needs a certain amount of oxygen and air flow and I'd like to hear what @Chuck and @Larisa have to say about this. If they are available, they will respond here.:)

I use cellophane sometimes. But I make holes there and sometimes open for air. I now do not have my own photos, so I'll show similar ones. :)

Теплички-с-рассадой-земляники-нужно-регулярно-проветривать-и-вовремя-поливать.jpg

Also in winter, I collect plastic containers in which sell food here. I like this more. They have different sizes, large and small.

plastikovye-korobki.jpg
Таблетки-с-семенами-нужно-накрыть-крышкой-или-пленкой.jpg

I always make small holes in the lid. Then there is no mold or algae.
When the seeds grow sufficiently, I remove the lid.
i-5992.jpg

You can use even an ordinary water bottle.

55.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use cellophane sometimes. But I make holes there and sometimes open for air. I now do not have my own photos, so I'll show similar ones. :)

View attachment 30316

Also in winter, I collect plastic containers in which sell food here. I like this more. They have different sizes, large and small.

View attachment 30319 View attachment 30320

I always make small holes in the lid. Then there is no mold or algae.
When the seeds grow sufficiently, I remove the lid.
View attachment 30321

You can use even an ordinary water bottle.

View attachment 30323
I do exactly the same thing and when the seedlings emerge I sprinkle the soil with cornmeal to prevent damping off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did not know about the use of corn flour. But now I'll try to use this too.
Just make sure it is NOT the enriched kind that they sell in grocery stores here. Make sure it says Whole Ground or Stone Ground on the package. It is also sold and labeled as horticultural cornmeal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Chuck said:
"have about 1 inch of airspace between the soil and the cellophane and as soon as the seeds sprout I remove it."

Okay, many thanks, i guess this answers the question as well.

Thank you guys. There are about 10 cm between the soil and the cellophane layer, which is not firmly attached to the pot perimeter. Considering that my case is a an experiment, I will carry on. It will be useful to understand how this technique works, to be ready at the beginning of the spring.

Thinking again about the type of the video that have inspired me, a lot of people show how to start and then
nobody shows the results.. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @Chuck and @Larisa for your input which is always valuable and informative:love:. I hope we have been able to help @Fagiolino and have answered your questions to your satisfaction. Of course gardening is always experimental but it is good to get some opinions from people much experienced. If you still have questions unanswered, feel free to post them here and we will do our best.

Now i wonder about the tap water, do you know it is treated with chlorine? It might be processed with different chemicals or methods. On the internet i found that the tap and most fountain water is safe to drink in Rome but i cannot find how it is safe. This may be a non issue for you in that possibly your tap water will not harm your plants. I sent an email to (e-mail address removed) asking this question and i'll let you know when/if i receive an answer. Maybe you already know how your water is treated, but i know that water in Europe is generally treated and safe but not necessarily treated with chlorine but in some other manner.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
laughing girl2.gif
The good doctors of Italy have responded to my question to them regarding how the water in Rome is safe. It is 30 pages and in Italian (not a surprise) so it's all yours, although i could probably get through it with my Spanish, i really don't want to
faint.gif
Let me know if the link does not work for you. Actually i would go with link and instructions that @Chuck sent above...just let the water sit for a few minutes before watering your plants.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_jazvc9om0&zw

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Of course gardening is always experimental but it is good to get some opinions from people much experienced. If you still have questions unanswered, feel free to post them here and we will do our best.

Thank you @Beverly , I'm all ears and I will definitely post some other questions soon :)
I said I will carry on just because I would not have the courage to eradicate my sprouted cores, but I really appreciated the suggestions. In fact I went to my balcony and I made sure the space between the soil and the cellophane was enough to let the oxygen circulating.
About the water, yes is slightly chlorinated, but as I said above, my father used to take care of his vegetable garden using Rome's water and until he had the chance to do it, he got very good results.
Anyway, I'm going to fill a jug a few minutes before watering the plants, thank you again @Chuck

I'm increasingly convinced that the method shown in the video produces long sprouts (especially during the spring and the summer) but not real plants. And you?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
thank you for your interest in my case @Beverly :)
I cannot open the link above, but I will definitely let the water sit for a few minutes before watering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I said I will carry on just because I would not have the courage to eradicate my sprouted cores
Oh yes, you will have much success growing things with this point of view:) carry on and you will learn and your plants may surprise you. I think they will produce real plants given enough growing space and i am going to try it too. i love the idea of snipping off a bit of fresh basil, grating up a bit of ginger, chopping off the tops of some freshly growing scallions when i am cooking and i might get started with a serano chili pepper plant. I'm really glad you created this thread.
smiley seed.gif

Ask a Question