Vegetables you can regrow inside your house or garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Hi there!
Despite the fact I really love plants, I've never experienced growing them.
About a month ago I had watched by chance this type of video:
and so I've immediately cut some vegetables I had in the fridge, and put them in a small amount of water.
After two weeks I have planted them in a pot and now I wonder if they will grow or not.
25105388_10155009418486720_602430941_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Honestly only the Catalogna chicory, the one in the middle, seems growing. The others are withering and I don't know if the problem is the winter temperature, the amount of water or something else. What do you think about it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Fagiolino are you using water from a central supply? If you are, this could be your problem. Many municipalities add chlorine and other chemicals while purifying the water. What are you using as soil? Is it from the yard or a commercial blend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
First of all, thank you for the video:) I learned some new things and think i am going to give some a try. I have never tried growing plants inside, but some people who do may have some tips for you. When i moved to the tropics i thought i could grow most plants year around and i can and do. I have also noticed that even when the temps are nice and toasty in December and January the plants do like to "rest" during those months and if i am planting seeds in those 2 months, they are very slow to come up and most often wait for February to germinate. Possibly this may be part of the problem combined with the suggestions offered by @Silentrunning above.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Silentrunning is right. Tap water is not good for plants. Do you keep fish in a little tank? That would be ideal for watering your plants. Perhaps only stick to winter crops like come and cut salad leaves, parsley. Try something more accommodating first to build up your confidence. Land cress is easy to grow in winter. Or Mizuna ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Thank you all for your answers.Yes, I'm using tap water. My father used to take care of his vegetable garden using the tap water of my city, which is listed as one of the best in Europe.
It was a specific suggestion for me, because I'm trying to regrow vegetables or do you usually avoid watering your plants with tap water? Very interesting.
Unfortunately I don't have a fish. How about dechlorinate water? If I fill a jug with water, without covering it, over time, the chlorine in the water should not dissipate due to exposure to the sun and air?
As a soil I have to say I'm using a commercial one, so I can definitely improve. Even if for the first time in my life I used the expanded clay and I think it's very useful to enhance drainage.
I think the theory exposed by Beverly is very interesting as well (glad you appreciated the video!). Theoretically, if the plants don't die during the coldest months of the year, they could grow in the spring? Just to understand :)
How about covering the upper surface of the pot with cellophane? Is there any chance to create a micro-greenhouse?
p.s. thank you for suggesting me Land cress and Mizuna, never heard them. Looking forward to finding the seeds

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Using cellophane film to cover potted compost is one of the best ways to encourage seeds to sprout. The condensation from the film really helps germination unless it's too hot. I always use a plastic bag (no need to run up expense) to wrap up a pot with seeds in it and the sterile atmosphere, the warmth and the moisture (mustn't water too much - if tiny condensation drops appear overnight, it will work). Once you see seedlings, you can add a very weak feed. Any transparent plastic sheets from DIY stores will be useful.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you like spring onion or scallion, try that as they grow in the cold as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I am not so sure about the cellophane over the soil of rooted plants. It works well germinating seeds, but i wonder about the possibility of mold. Soil needs a certain amount of oxygen and air flow and I'd like to hear what @Chuck and @Larisa have to say about this. If they are available, they will respond here.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not so sure about the cellophane over the soil of rooted plants. It works well germinating seeds, but i wonder about the possibility of mold. Soil needs a certain amount of oxygen and air flow and I'd like to hear what @Chuck and @Larisa have to say about this. If they are available, they will respond here.:)
Cellophane/saran wrap works great when starting seeds just as long as it DOSEN'T lay on the potting soil. If it does mold might become a problem. I use it for all of my seed starting but I always have about 1 inch of airspace between the soil and the cellophane and as soon as the seeds sprout I remove it. What cellophane does is retain moisture and increase heat. It acts like a minature green house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @Chuck, but i believe we are talking about cellophane over the soil of already rooted plants. What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you @Chuck, but i believe we are talking about cellophane over the soil of already rooted plants. What do you think?
Only outdoors and only stuff like black plastic to warm up the soil. I suppose it could be used as a weed preventer in cooler areas where the sun isn't intense.

Ask a Question