Vegetable Container Gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found an old bath tub at the local dump. Works great for all kinds of plants. Right now I am growing basil and thyme in it

Reaction score
I have done cucumbers and peppers of all kinds but that is it as far as veggies go. I do plan on trying a lot more this year though and I would even like to grow some fruits this time around. I would try anything where the plant did not get to big.

Oh and vines would be a good fit with a cage in there so pea’s, green beans and such would work well one would think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
My cement patio is hot and sunny, perfect for pots of heat loving vegetables. The pots are 5 gallon buckets and larger. Perfect plants are eggplants and sweet peppers, which thrive in the heat. I have also done tomatoes. I always add some petunias to the front of the pots for beauty. I also always have tomato rings in the pots to support the vegetable plants. Containers need to be monitored for water every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I am currently growing almost everything that I eat that I can harvest a seed from. I grow it on my small apartment deck and even though I can not harvest a lot...it works! So go for it; whether it be in bags, a vertical garden, containers, or whatever your preference.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My soil is not very healthy, I have not had much success in the past. This year I am going to do the bag garden, just open the bag of potting soil and plant my seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some CHOOSE to grow their carrots in deep tubs, because carrot flies can't fly higher than 24" (609mm).

If this is true, I may have to start growing carrots in containers in the fall! It's probably getting too hot for them now, but I'm going to look into this! I wonder if growing carrots in something raised of the ground would work the same way...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I too have very heavy clay soil.
When I grow veg in pots, I put a couple of handfuls of that soil into the pots, as it helps with moisture and nutrient retention.

Ask a Question