Vegetable Container Gardening?

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a new home in an area where the soil content is high in clay. For this reason I'm considering growing vegetables in containers. As I recall, my mother did very well with container grown tomatoes. Are there any other vegetables that can thrive in containers?

I've considered raised beds, but have decided on something portable, as I'll be able to adjust plant location depending on the elements. Ohio weather has bee crazy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have very heavy clay soil (3 brickworks in the area).
Brassicas thrive on heavy clay soil.
I have successfully grown peas, dwarf beans, courgettes (zucchini), strawberries, cucumbers. lettuces, spinach, green onions, garlic, radish, beetroot, pak choi, leeks, to name but those which spring to mind.
Some CHOOSE to grow their carrots in deep tubs, because carrot flies can't fly higher than 24" (609mm).

Reaction score
You can in fact grow just about any vegetable you desire in a container and what can be grown is really only limited by the size of the containers you are planning to use.

So really it is only a matter of deciding what you want to grow and as well as having the luxury of being able to choose from all the regular fruit and vegetables available - there are now so many new fruit and vegetable varieties - that are very suitable for growing in containers - you will be spoilt for choice - like bush cucumbers and zucchini, eggplants, peppers and even bush tomatoes as well as several tomato and zucchini varieties that can be grown in hanging baskets plus all those already mentioned by others :)

Reaction score
I'll definitely look into potatoes in big sacks. I had not heard of this.

Looks like I'll open my mind a bit to the likes of beetroot, pak choi, and leeks. I decided early on that I didn't like beets, but I have yet to try the others.

Pak choi looks absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to admit, my plan is to also go with something aesthetically pleasing, as the containers will adorn my patio. I can see leeks serving as the backdrop along with the containers of ornamental grasses that were left with the house. I'll try not to mix them up at harvest time.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Pak Choi isn't an easy one to start with, they need regular watering and not planting out too early as they bolt (go to seed) at the drop of a hat.

Bear in mind the compost in containers will run out of nutrient after 4-6 weeks, so you need to use a liquid feed, or better still, if you can get some well rotted manure to put in the bottom of the containers before the compost, that'd be good :)

Reaction score
These are exactly the things I'll need to know. I honestly hadn't yet considered compost for containers.

I was spoiled by my previous house. When I had bought it, it had well established peonies, a couple grape vines, and various other plants. I did very little actual gardening as these plants seemed to take care of themselves. And yes, I neglected the grapes.

I'm a bit older now, with more time on my hands and have been thinking I'll put forth some effort. I'm attempting to start small. Keeping everything to a manageable level is difficult for me. I prefer to go big with most projects.

You guys are most helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
If you are going to have a container garden, then here is a terrific idea for making a trellis for things like cucumber, tomatoes, beans, or other climbing/vining plants to grow on. It can be easily constructed using some rebar and PVC pipe, and covered with chicken wire, or another light weight fencing material.
I am definitely going to try something like this, my soil is all hard clay, and very hard for me to dig in.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Although I think that the growing frame in your picture is an excellent example of what one can look like and is very similar to the type that I use for growing melons, squash and cucumbers - I think that for the average person - as well as those with limited space - it may well prove to be a little on the large side as well as being a little difficult to put together.

So for those of you with limited space or who would like something similar to the above - but was easier to put together - the very same thing can be achieved quite easily - with such things as an old step ladder, old pallets or even two fence panels propped together :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The way petrol is going up, might be using the car as a frame soon :D £60 to fill the tank, only paid £50 for my first car.

Reaction score
That frame is absolutely gorgeous. Could be something for me to consider in the future... on a smaller scale, of course.

I'll be picking up containers soon. For my root type veggies, carrots, radishes and beets, how concerned with container depth and drainage should I be?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some broken pots or rocks in the bottom, to stop the drainage holes blocking up.

I'd use ex supermarket florist pots for roots, they are about 9 inches wide buy about a foot deep, can usually pick them up cheap :)

Reaction score
If you are going to have a container garden, then here is a terrific idea for making a trellis for things like cucumber, tomatoes, beans, or other climbing/vining plants to grow on. It can be easily constructed using some rebar and PVC pipe, and covered with chicken wire, or another light weight fencing material.
I am definitely going to try something like this, my soil is all hard clay, and very hard for me to dig in. View attachment 2279
How superb is this! I simply love it! There are so many things you can do with this, including putting a table inside the structure. I find this deeply inspirational. It is amazing how much you can actually grow in a small area. I would love to have something like this on my veranda, and have my visitors join me in my green pagoda. :)

Ask a Question