Using Rice Water In Watering An Orchid Plant

Reaction score
When I was still living in my parents house I always saw my mother always using rice water in watering all her orchid plants in our garden. I asked my mother why she is doing that and she said that rice water contain nutrients that can help the orchids to grow and bloom flowers easily. And I think she is right because all of her orchids had flowers blooming all the time and they are really lovely to look at and very wonderful. How about you what are you doing to take care of your orchid plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What exactly is rice water?
I have only one orchid. It looks very healthy, even though I always forget to feed it;)

Reaction score
@claudine Actually I do not know if it is the right term for that. To make rice water you just need rice and water. Before we cook rice we wash it first with water right? My mother is not throwing the water from the first rinse when she is washing the rice before cooking because she is using it for watering her orchid plants and that is what I mean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine Actually I do not know if it is the right term for that. To make rice water you just need rice and water. Before we cook rice we wash it first with water right? My mother is not throwing the water from the first rinse when she is washing the rice before cooking because she is using it for watering her orchid plants and that is what I mean.
I understand, thank you:) It sounds very easy, I'll definitely save some rice water for my orchid too the next time I cook rice:) I hope it will make it grow even faster and more beautiful:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm not sure with rice water. This is the first time I've heard of such to be used in watering orchids. Our liquid fertilizer is the water that was used in washing the meat and fish from the market. Aside from the sediments, there is the broth-like residues that gives it a rich mixture. We never buy chemical fertilizer and aside from the compost from our compost bin, that water used to wash the meat and fish are enough to boost our plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand, thank you:) It sounds very easy, I'll definitely save some rice water for my orchid too the next time I cook rice:) I hope it will make it grow even faster and more beautiful:D
When I was still living in my parents house I always saw my mother always using rice water in watering all her orchid plants in our garden. I asked my mother why she is doing that and she said that rice water contain nutrients that can help the orchids to grow and bloom flowers easily. And I think she is right because all of her orchids had flowers blooming all the time and they are really lovely to look at and very wonderful. How about you what are you doing to take care of your orchid plants?
My orchid just died after a few months. I was very disappointed. I will definitely take this into consideration for trying to grow it back. I've never heard of using rice water before but if you said your mothers orchids were blooming and beautiful it's worth a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm so sorry to hear that, KimmyMarkks:( Unfortunately, orchids aren't easy to grow. I think mine is an exception, it doesn't want anything special, just water and sunshine. I haven't given it rice water yet, because it doesn't seem to need it.

Ask a Question