Unique ideas that turned into either beautiful or ugly garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No for me Claudine, I think that cage containing the rocks, is far worse than the color of the rocks.
Think the structure is probably meant to be depicting a window or doorway, but think its really grotesque. The simplistic planting would look much better with a large bold architectural plant as focal point, and think that, if that structure really had to be there, cementing the rocks together dry stone wall style, would be much more effective and certainly look, a whole lot more natural.
You are right, cementing the rocks together would be a much better idea. In my area, a few people decided to put walls like this instead of fences. In my opinion it looks really ugly:(

5612f_ogrodek-zdjecia_1_jpg_gabion_1_main.jpg

Reaction score
I love the dresser!

The toilets are baffling, though. Maybe if there were some shrubs around the base or something, but no... not working for me.

Reaction score
ACSAPA, I wouldn't like anything like this in my garden:p

Here is another idea: an old ladder and shoes used as a planter - to be honest, I don't find it pretty at all:

old-wooden-ladder-backyard-decorating-ideas-3.jpg

The only pretty thing in this picture are the flowers, but I guess the owners of this place already know that ;) Ugh, one of those shoes is covered with a green fungi layer!

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure some of these shoes are rotting already - when you look closer at them, you'll notice they have this strange green color:eek:

How do you feel about mailbox planters? In my opinion it's a lovely idea! I've never seen anything like this before, in my country, we have different and smaller mailboxes.

spring.jpg

mailbox-art-tatta.jpg

Oh my... both pictures are lovely, but the second one is just amazing! That's what my dream mailbox would look like :D I never thought there were people out there who liked to do this sort of thing. But I guess you need to live in a neighborhood that has no children around, because you guys know how little children can be! I used to love picking flowers and stuff :p Not a bad kid tho, I didn't mean any harm, I just wanted to create my own bouquet ;)

Reaction score
Like it or not? I think this one looks really beautiful! I wonder how they did this! Looks like a lot work! What do you think?

Topiary_green_garden_art_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not a big fan of cars in general, but I must say that this one looks really interesting! I like the colors of the flowers:)

This car (or, should I say, planter) on the other hand didn't turn out as pretty as the one in your picture:eek::

073108carplanter-01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
There are definitely some strange and unique thing being used as planters. I don't like the use of old toilets as a planter, either, but I am fine with using an old bathtub, or maybe even a hand sink, just not the toilet.
The old shoes fit in with the general theme of the old ladder, but I don't think it is something I would want in my yard either, but I do like the planters made from dresser drawers, ad especially like the one that is the whole dresser.
You could put all kinds of little garden thing, like pruners,hose nozzles, and such, in the extra drawers that don't have flowers planted in them.

Reaction score
You are right, cementing the rocks together would be a much better idea. In my area, a few people decided to put walls like this instead of fences. In my opinion it looks really ugly:(

5612f_ogrodek-zdjecia_1_jpg_gabion_1_main.jpg

That is hideous. It looks like a prison, not someone's home. It also seems like a lazy way to build a wall. They didn't even choose pretty rocks.

Reaction score
Here is a very unique idea for a garden decoration, how do you feel about it?:

van+planting.jpg

Personally, I like Flower power and Hippies and it reminds me of them, but still, I prefer more traditional planters:p

I actually like the flower power hippie bus. It's a very unselfish decoration, they are sharing the colors and love with everyone. :)

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of cars in general, but I must say that this one looks really interesting! I like the colors of the flowers:)

This car (or, should I say, planter) on the other hand didn't turn out as pretty as the one in your picture:eek::

073108carplanter-01.jpg
I like the kind of southwestern desert punk look they have going here, but the car needs to be way more colorful. They missed an opportunity to do something cool and artistic by using such boring colors on the car.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Call me traditional, but I prefer regular planters:cool: For example, I really love the flowers, but in my opinion they would look so much better if they didn't grow in a car:

2381412445_fb0222b418.jpg

Reaction score

073108carplanter-01.jpg

LOL, awesome!!! It's a mexican themed planter! Hehehe... poor agave plant :( I like the cacti detail.... I know most of those plants because I grew up in the north of mexico. The ones to the right are full of thorns... so I wonder how they managed to put them there. Because I'm guessing this car hasn't been a planter for too long, and those plants are adult ones :eek::confused:

Reaction score
Call me traditional, but I prefer regular planters:cool: For example, I really love the flowers, but in my opinion they would look so much better if they didn't grow in a car:

2381412445_fb0222b418.jpg

This one is actually pretty :) I love the bright colours of the car! The paint looks perfect, but I'd never dare to use a car as a planter. I think it'd make a great communal project tho, specially if you live in a big apartment building ;) It might not be the most beautiful planter, but it indeed is the most original one out there :D

Reaction score
Sorry,although I'm very much into minimum maintainance gardens, heavy slabbing with raised borders and lots of pots, planters and hanging baskets. None of these ideas do it for me although in their own right they look quite attractive. Good hedging trees or shrubs around a couple of the perimeter borders and some flowering shrubs in the raised borders will take a lot of the harshness away from the slabbing and glazed pots.

Reaction score
Great stuff, I love the sense of humor that people have! Some of them are really clever and quite pretty. I have no trouble with people reusing the toilets for a planter, its better than sending them to the dump and wasting space.

Ask a Question