A public sign describing your unique flora: what a great idea!

Reaction score
Often, when I am out for a walk, I will stop to admire someone's garden. There are occasions when I wished I could have asked them what a certain plant or tree was. I came across this collection of photos today, posted by someone who found this while on one of her walks. It's such a clever and thoughtful idea for those of us who appreciate gardens. :)

http://imgur.com/a/l9vJ0

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is very unique and original. I would be a rose, a lavender rose. Purple all shades of purple is my favorite color and I love roses. Maybe not unique but I think that would be a good expresson me.

Reaction score
That's a wonderful idea :) Is it just me or do you guys also think this is really considerate and nice thing to do? I say it because the people who do this actually take the time to write those signs describing their flora :) To be honest I have never seen this in my own country, but I recall seeing a sign like that in a dutch garden. Sadly I don't speak a word of dutch :(

Reaction score
That's a wonderful idea :) Is it just me or do you guys also think this is really considerate and nice thing to do?

I think it's a very considerate thing to do. Of course, not everyone who passes by is going to care -- but, there will be some who will be just delighted by the gesture. Imagine a parent out for a walk with their child seeing this sign? It could be a wonderful educational opportunity! Now that I have my own yard, I might just do something like this once the gardens are established. :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have walked by yards that had a plant that was interesting to me, a plant that I had not seen before and had no way of finding any information on the plant, a sign in the yard with information about the plant would have been appreciated. I would have the information to either research the plant or find someplace I could purchase the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a lovely idea. The owners of this garden must be very friendly people. I'm different though, I don't like when strangers look at my plants:confused: Whenever they get close to our fence, my dog starts barking at them like crazy. He wouldn't let them read any signs:p

This tulip tree in the picture is beautiful!

Reaction score
I think it's a very considerate thing to do. Of course, not everyone who passes by is going to care -- but, there will be some who will be just delighted by the gesture. Imagine a parent out for a walk with their child seeing this sign? It could be a wonderful educational opportunity! Now that I have my own yard, I might just do something like this once the gardens are established. :)

Glad to know I was the only one over here who also thought so ;) (y) Best of luck with your endeavors, I'm sure a lot people will be so delighted if you do so :) I might consider doing that in the future too, once I get a garden, because right now I'm not gardening at all (I might be moving to the Netherlands next year). So, yeah, I will definitely do this :) I'm sure all the little kids from our neighborhood will appreciate it :)

Reaction score
I like the idea very much. There have been many public parks that I have been to that have little signs giving the names of the plants. I think one of the zoos here does that also. It is unexpected to come across that with someone's personal yard and I think it is wonderful. They must truly be gardeners all the way in their hearts and souls. Lovely. Thank you so much for posting about this.

Reaction score
I love that they made a sign explaining what kind of flowering tree it was and the tree is gorgeous too. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have much plant knowledge. Guess my sign could say "Your guess is as good as mine!" :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we lived in town, we had a "Demonstration Garden" for Texas Parks and Wildlife, featuring native plants. The only sign we had was the "Demo" sign provided by TPWD, and a smaller sign under it saying "Ring the doorbell, and if we have time we'll tour the garden with you."
Trying to provide signs explaining what the plant was and what benefit it gave wildlife would have made our yard look like a used car lot with all those signs! Walking with visitors while carrying a paper pad and pencil for notes for them to take home, explaining and commenting on the plants, was so much more helpful to our guests. Many came back with friends to see the garden, ask about butterflies, bees, birds, and small mammals, and perhaps use some of the native plants for their enjoyment and the wildlife's benefit.

Ask a Question