My Really Unique Apple Tree

Reaction score
I bought my first house a few months ago and one of the small perks of the property was this neat apple tree in the backyard. It is still a small tree for now but it has a really interesting feature.

It is actually one apple tree that produces four different kinds of apples! It is one tree that the previous homeowner had some fun with. She grafted 4 different apple tree branches onto the same tree trunk. The branches started growing on the main tree and now I have a really cool tree. I had never even heard of doing this until now.

Does anyone else have something like this?

Reaction score
That must have been a wonderful surprise, to find you had an apple cocktail tree on your property - its like having an orchard all on one tree :D I think there are many people that would be envious of your apple tree, especially as they are only currently available in certain parts of the world.

These fruit cocktail/salad trees are starting to become very popular, especially for those with limited space, as it means, like I said - you can have an orchard all on one tree :cool:

As you hadn't heard about this type of tree before, you might be interested in having a look at the thread entitled 'Fruit cocktail / fruit salad trees' which tells you a bit about the varieties available such as stone-fruits citrus etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We have a thread about cocktail trees here, I'm sure that you'll find it very interesting:) I dream of growing a tree like this too, it's such a lovely and funny idea. I'm pretty sure that I'll never be able to afford a big garden where I could plant many different trees, so it would be perfect for me:)

Reaction score
Woah... that sounds like a totally interesting project!!! How the heck she did that!? I'm really wondering, I tried similar things with my herbs when I was younger, but it never worked!

Reaction score
Woah... that sounds like a totally interesting project!!! How the heck she did that!? I'm really wondering, I tried similar things with my herbs when I was younger, but it never worked!

You obviously haven't seen the thread 'Fruit cocktail/Fruit salad Trees' either :D

So in answer to your question regarding how the multi grafted apple tree was done, have a look at the thread, as not only will it tell you, about all the different varieties of multi grafted fruit trees, but also how to graft them, as 'Headfullofbees' was kind to post a tutorial video on how to do it.

Reaction score
Wasn't even aware one can do this!! So very cool to have 4 different apples growing on one tree. I plan on planting more fruit trees this upcoming season for sure. Right now I only have a plum tree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My new allotment has an Egremont Russet tree; I will also be trying to cross-graft that.
RedNeckCowBoy: not all of my grafts take, but when they do, they are good.

Reaction score
What a nice treat for you to have a tree like that! Someone was very patient and knowledgeable if they were able to do that; I've tried grafting and never really had any luck with it. I hope that you will post some pictures when you start getting some fruits.

Reaction score
How interesting. I had no idea you could get four different varieties of apples from the same tree. This must have taken a lot of time and effort. However, the results were certainly worth it. You can pick four different types of apples without leaving the same tree.

Ask a Question