Greens & Herb harvest + Unique way to use Herbs from the garden

Reaction score
Water greens a couple times a week as this will promote leaf growth. With a natural fertilizer such as compost tea or diluted urine, fertilize your garden greens once a week or every other week. This is especially necessary for those vegetables and greens growing in containers.

radish patch

I harvested some greens from the container garden which I intended to prepare for James' mother. I hoped to make her a big salad with her lettuces, arugula, green peppers, and tomatoes from the garden.

I also harvested herbs yesterday, which I chopped and then froze in olive oil to use for future meals. To do this, chop each herb finely and add to individual cubes, and then pour olive oil into each of these cubes with the herbs. They will freeze into the shape of the ice tray, and will keep for as long as you store them in the freezer. This will keep them fresh until you decide to use them in stir-fry, spaghetti, etc.

Below, shows you the herbs I have frozen in olive oil, such as Sage, Parsley, and Rosemary. I had harvested much more rosemary, but I dried the rest in a food dehydrator, and stored in a glass jar.

Original post @ Greens & Herb harvest + Unique way to use Herbs from the garden

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I do the ice cube trick too! It's handy. I also have been infusing oils with herbs, a lot of those fancy olive oils with the herbs/spices in them are pretty pricey - it's so much more fun and satisfying making my own ones!

Reaction score
Thank you for such an informative post! I had no idea that you could use diluted urine as a fertilizer. How does this work? It's a bit gross to be honest, but it's interesting nonetheless. Do you just water your plants with diluted urine in order for it to act as a fertilizer?

Reaction score
This is so interesting, I had no idea you could use diluted urine as natural fertilizer :eek: Can this be done with all the plants in general or just herbs and greens? Also, interesting way to use herbs :) I was already familiar with freezing herbs in olive oil thanks to someone from this forum, I have since then tried it and let me tell you it's an awesome idea. I also love the idea of making my own herb butter ;) So handy for when you make soup and you know you will be having it with bread ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't tried to freeze herbs with olive oil and this information will be put to use straight away. My son always used fresh herbs when he cooked, and the left over usually got rotten; thus wasting the hefty money that we spent on the herbs.

Thank you for the idea, olive oil and herbs? They are our stabled :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Diluted urine can be used as fertilizer? I'm sorry I've never heard of it and I am new to gardening, sounds interesting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your greens look very healthy and I love the ice cube trick.
As for my herbs, I just dry them, it's the easiest preservation method:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard of putting herbs in olive oil but I've never heard of anyone freezing olive oil. That sounds like a good idea. I'm interested to trying this with rosemary and thyme.

Ask a Question