Uncommon vegetables? do you grow any?

Reaction score
cucamelons is something that many are speaking highly of on veg forums ....
(Doll’s house-sized ‘watermelons’ that taste of pure cucumber with a tinge of lime)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/thing-you-must-plant-this-instant-cucamelons
cucamelon-1-300x168.jpg

cocktail Kiwi Plant:
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable Seeds/James Wong Homegrown Revolution Seeds/Cocktail Kiwi Plant_239390.htm

quote:
Originating from Siberia. Hardy down to -35°C and growing up to 2m in one season, this delightful, grapevine-like plant produces up to 400 miniature fuzz-free kiwis every year! (This is a self-fertile variety.)

Eat them fresh from the vine or cut them in half and dry in a low oven to make sticky wine gum-like sweets but without any E numbers!

James says - 'Super sweet mini kiwis that come with a fuzz-free edible skin.'
Culture: Plant: Can grow up to 2m. Can yield up to 20kg fruit when mature. Harvest: September-November
18093159-kiwi-berry-or-actinidia-arguta.jpg

tree spinach:
grows to 8 feet in a year and tastes like spinach ... large leaves are cooked like spinach, and new leaves are used in salads

Tree_spinach02.jpg

Orach red .... these leaves are eaten raw in salads ... grows 1,2 meters tall

atri_ho2.jpg

Sorrel bloody dock ... grows 2 foot tall and is eaten raw in salads or can be cooked:
IMG_5341.jpg
[/quote

I grew the cucamelons about 6 years ago and it took over my front and backyard, and it took over my neighbors yard too. ( I don't think he noticed.). It's interesting because it tastes like it's been pickled fresh off the vine (sour). I am growing Sorrel bloody dock, it looks weak I wish it looked like the photo:( I guess I ought to be patient. I need those Kiwi in my life and I am also trying to grow the tree spinach. Funny, we have similar taste ;)

Ask a Question