Uncommon vegetables? do you grow any?

Reaction score
I love growing Jerusalem Artichokes I harvest the roots in Autumn and peel and use them much like potatoes though they have a more nutty flavour. Once you grow them you will always have them unless you make a concerted effort to dig up all the roots. I grow mine along a side fence and the tall fast growing stalks are simmilar to sunflowers, they make a lovely screening plant from the neighbours at least during spring and summer
jerusalemartichoke.jpg

artichoke.png

do you have any uncommon vegies you like to grow?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like Jerusalem Artichokes, but my digestive system doesn't.

Got some Calaloo seedlings coming up, not tried it yet though, as I managed to kill last years plants.

Reaction score
This year we are trying to grow purple tomatillios. I have no idea how they will turn out but I thought it would add a nice splash of purple to my garden so we decided to make a go of it. Its almost time to start those seeds and start counting down to planting them in the great outdoors.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if I've had Jerusalem artichokes before... would I use them the same way as potatoes for example? Globe artichokes on the other hand, I can't get enough of (as it happens, we're cooking with some right now in a risotto!).

Got some Calaloo seedlings coming up, not tried it yet though, as I managed to kill last years plants.

Please let me know if you have success with Callaloo :). If only it was possible to grow Ackee in the UK too.

Reaction score
I don't know if I've had Jerusalem artichokes before... would I use them the same way as potatoes for example? .
Yes they can be used in place of or in combination with potatoes in a lot of recipes, but they are not as hard as potatoes and have a shorter cooking time. They can become quite mushy if they get overcooked

Jed

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Jerusalem Artichokes. The way to eat them is to boil them for a time and make a bowl of tasty flavours. Olive oil pepper and soy sauce. Squeeze the tubers into it and eat throwing the skin away. This may help your problem zigs. Some call them Farty chokes.:D
I had them growing for years and always left plenty in the ground. For some reason this year I have only a couple of small plats. It's if they have been exhausted using this method. Also mine have never flowered here in the cooler climate of Tasmania .

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Please let me know if you have success with Callaloo :). If only it was possible to grow Ackee in the UK too.

Had to Google Ackee, looks interesting:)

I will do Ian, it failed last year, but so did everything else. Was eating 2 year old beetroot at lunchtime:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had to Google Ackee, looks interesting:)

I will do Ian, it failed last year, but so did everything else. Was eating 2 year old beetroot at lunchtime:D

Thanks zigs :)

This is a great meal to have with Callaloo: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ackeeandsaltfish_86812

The supermarkets near us sell tinned Ackee in the world foods section (looks very much like scrambled eggs when you use it), but personally I'd skip using salt cod and just use some fresh cod instead (easier and tastier, IMO - although not authentic).

Reaction score
I just bought Jerusalem Articokes, and plan on planting them tomorrow. I've never tasted them, but the flowers are marvelous. I plan on growing planting root vegetables this week ginger and, turmeric too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought Jerusalem Articokes, and plan on planting them tomorrow. I've never tasted them, but the flowers are marvelous. I plan on growing planting root vegetables this week ginger and, turmeric too.

Go steady on the Artichokes if you've not tried them before, they can make the World fall out of your bottom

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Progress report : Blooming hopeless at the moment, most of them keeled over and died, 2 surviving ones I've re potted twice, still only an inch high with 3 true leaves. Greenfly keep attacking them too:rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Progress report : Blooming hopeless at the moment, most of them keeled over and died, 2 surviving ones I've re potted twice, still only an inch high with 3 true leaves. Greenfly keep attacking them too:rolleyes:

Ah not good :(. Do you think you'll give it a try again next year?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah not good :(. Do you think you'll give it a try again next year?

I'll still keep trying with it this year Ian, all is not lost yet.

Nothing is getting away yet, need warmer temps.

Reaction score
Go steady on the Artichokes if you've not tried them before, they can make the World fall out of your bottom

Makes me worried to try it :) I have only had it in things (like pasta with artichokes.) I had often thought about trying it from the store but not sure that I want the world to fall out!

The strangest vegetable for me would be the purple peppers and chocolate beauty peppers I am growing this year. I have grown peppers, but I am new to these 2 varieties.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Pasta with Artichokes is more lightly to be Globe Artichokes, not related. Globe Artichokes are Thistles, Jerusalem Artichokes are Sunflowers.

Ask a Question