Turmeric

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I bought some organic turmeric roots, and I wanted to grow some. Can anyone give me advice? How much room do I need? Pot or ground? When can I expect to collect some? Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought some organic turmeric roots, and I wanted to grow some. Can anyone give me advice? How much room do I need? Pot or ground? When can I expect to collect some? Thanks in advance :)
They must be grown in containers here and it takes 8-10 months without it getting less than 65F. Search "how to grow turmeric". I have never heard of it growing here but it might be fun to try

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This could be interesting :)

Reaction score
How will you use it?

I have used powdered turmeric root from the spice aisle, but I have no idea how to use the plant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've always used the powder, but this time I'm gonna use a grater for the root because they say it's so much better than the powder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Turmeric grows abunduntly in
tur,eric.jpg
my garden. I had picked up a single rhizome from my mother's garden. Got the first crop of rhizomes which were planted in rows and today I have enough to fill the earth :)

The leaves too are used here to prepare sweet dishes. The smell is great.

http://dalitoy.blogspot.in/2006/12/pattoli-konkani-style-dumpling-with.html

The rhizomes are dug up cleaned and boiled. They are cut into pieces and died in the sun and powdered. Turmeric has several health properties.

Ask a Question