Trying New Varieties Next Year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone going to try any 'new to them' varieties in the coming year? If so, what?

I'm still hunting a variety of heirloom tomato to suit me so I'll be trying something else but not sure exactly which variety yet. I'm not really a person to order things online but may in this case.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm trying a couple of new to me ...maybe do more as the year unfolds... but trying horseradish and ginger.

AI says horseradish won't make in my climate (too hot), but ginger has a good chance (maybe too cold).

... I'm not really a person to order things online but may in this case.
Wow, my gardening would really suffer without the 'net. It has opened up a whole new world of varieties previously not accessible.

Amazon has its negatives, I guess, but I really rely on it for a lot of my garden stuff. Never had a bad experience...yet.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Chickpeas, a legume for plant-based protein. Think I will try some this year.

No one else trying anything new this year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shall have to have a look in my seed box! I bought rather a lot of packets a few months back that were going for a reduced price - some I've never tried before. There are several new tomato varieties, but I shall have to dig some out to say what they're all called. I'll try and remember tomorrow.
I have bought a couple of tomatoes here and there before from various places to taste and have kept seeds from the ones I like best. The freshest seeds always germinate faster!

I have to agree with Oliver with the horseradish. It certainly is rampant when it gets going. There is a village not far from us where someone planted some, and now the entire village has been overtaken. That person who introduced it was not very popular 🤭

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are several new tomato varieties, but I shall have to dig some out to say what they're all called. I'll try and remember tomorrow.
I have bought a couple of tomatoes here and there before from various places to taste and have kept seeds from the ones I like best.

Although you are in another country I'm interested in what varieties of tomato they are.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Household duties are now complete so I started digging out the seed packets. The first lot I came across were unhelpfully labelled ''tomatoes'' and when I ventured further I found some seeds squashed up in a napkin, and obviously it's one of those I liked from the supermarket - der 🥴
Then I found ''Super Sauce F1'' which according to it's title might be a good one for the tomato based sauces next year - I didn't find the san marzano I wanted, and this seemed like a possible alternative. ''Outdoor Girl'' - a weather tolerant variety, ''Cocktail Crush'' - good resistance to blight, and Merrygold F1 labelled as the first blight resistant orange tomato. All are indeterminate so I shall have to build them a support system (unless of course Lord Awful has time to do it for me)😌

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have grown Outdoor girl, it was a good 'ordinary' tomato. Last year I grew RAF, which the missus brought back from holiday, a ;beefsteak; tomato with fungal resistance, bred from Marmande, I'll be trying that again.
Bought some sweetcorn from Unwins, years since I tried that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have had poor success with regular tomatoes of any variety - not even worth the bother. But the little grape and cherry types do really well. This year my wife planted a variety called Rapunzel. It was prolific and the fruits are sweet and flavorful. It's also very attractive, with long ropes of tomatoes neatly arranged side by side pairs. So we will definitely be growing them again. It's shame Ed Currie's Puckerbutt Pepper Co. is not going to release his new Pepper X seeds, but I completely understand why. He didn't patent his Carolina Reaper variety and basically lost a ton of money when every man and his dog started growing and selling them without paying any royalties.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I am going to grow Tomatillo's next year. never tried before
I grew them year before last... and for some reason not this past year. Going to grow some next year in HK containers. Great in Salsa!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I grew them year before last... and for some reason not this past year. Going to grow some next year in HK containers. Great in Salsa!
Yep. my wife and kid love it when I make Chili Verde. I never thought about growing them. no clue why.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have planted five heirloom varieties for the last three years. Namely, Black Krim, Brandywine, Tigerella, Amish Paste and Roma.
They do taste the best but there are like Roma, and Grosse Lisse that are considered heirloom despite their commonality.
Money maker, San Marzano and Gardener's Delight often outperform these old timers but lack the taste despite being organically grown.

Ask a Question