trouble shooting fungus in new empty garden bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just built a new raised garden bed in west central florida, using home made compost and store bought dirt with food in it as well as some cow manure and sea grass from the gulf of mexico. I covered the bed with black weed control fabric over the past week and it has rained every day, all day some days. I went out today thinking I'd start planting and there is a white stuff on the weed fabric which I pulled off and a lot of white stuff on the soil. Actually I used a peice of weed fabric that was more plastic and a piece that's more fabric and the white stuff is by far more on the fabric one and far less on the plastic one. There are no plants in this garden. I assume it is a fungus but beyond that I know nothing nor what to do now. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are many many types and forms of fungus. Most are harmless and the only thing that they do is break down organic matter in order for the plants to be able to uptake nutrients. A picture of the fungus would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went and got some plastic and covered the bed. I'm going to let the soil dry out a bit. The rain is relentless right now. If the sun ever comes out again some heat will build up under there, maybe that will help. I hope the fungus is one of the harmless ones, I know that mycorrhizal fungi are important. Thank you for your input. If I get a chance I'll photograph and post.

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
G
image.jpeg
the whitish yellow stuff in my empty garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went and got some plastic and covered the bed. I'm going to let the soil dry out a bit. The rain is relentless right now. If the sun ever comes out again some heat will build up under there, maybe that will help. I hope the fungus is one of the harmless ones, I know that mycorrhizal fungi are important. Thank you for your input. If I get a chance I'll photograph and post.
Leaving the plastic on in the sunshine is in effect the same thing as solarization. This will kill many of the beneficial fungi and bacteria. Rain isn't going to hurt your raised bed all that much, maybe the loss of a few replaceable nutrients is all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is one of the beneficial fungi. I believe it to be a variety of Dog Vomit Fungus. In any case it is harmless.

Ask a Question