Trouble with new corn plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just purchased about 3 weeks ago and repotted after bringing it home with an organic soil. I’ve only watered once because the soil has stayed moist 2-3 inches down but dry on very top. My poor plants leaves are yellowing, browning and falling off. I also noticed a white ring around the terra-cotta pot. I appreciate all help and advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 10ED01B3-E57F-443F-985F-5117CC114C6E.jpeg
    10ED01B3-E57F-443F-985F-5117CC114C6E.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 105
  • E6FDD47E-9693-4C14-B118-7EACFCD0FDEE.jpeg
    E6FDD47E-9693-4C14-B118-7EACFCD0FDEE.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 426F1BE5-A6E0-48B7-B4BC-0D60DFDFBA1B.jpeg
    426F1BE5-A6E0-48B7-B4BC-0D60DFDFBA1B.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
Country
United States
Transplanting a new plant is not a good choice because its acclimated to the pot its in. . When you repotted your plant, you added organic soil and so you raise the water volume in the container. Its more water than the plant can process in a week so the roots are staying too wet. The only thing you can do at this point, is gently remove as much of the soil on top of the root ball as you can. Allow the soil to dry well on top before watering.
Although Dracaena can take low light conditions, they do best when placed in bright but indirect light. Try to avoid placing them in full sun because it will burn the leaves. Transplanting new plants at the wrong time is a common mistake most people make with house plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you use the soil as it was in the bag, or mix it with things to make it drain well?
I agree that allowing it to fully dry is a good idea. The growth pattern of a plant grown like this one is conducive to rot if it is allowed to sit wet. When you do plant this beauty, be sure to use a well draining mix...meaning it's not going to be easy to keep it alive in soil straight from the bag. I can give you some suggestions on easy ways to mix soil if you need them.
Do not worry about the ring on your terracotta pot. All terracotta pots end up with that patina, or even algae, depending on the conditions under which they are used. White is whatever the clay leached out of the wet soil. It is a good thing.
Good luck with that gorgeous plant! I inherited one from my mother. After my father passed away the plant was thrown out into a flowerbed because it was assumed dead. It spent a winter, complete with many days below freezing. When spring came, I was organizing my mother's pots, and discovered new growth on the plant that was presumed dead months earlier. They are more resilient than you realize, but overwatering or sitting in wet soil, and rot, is a certain death.

Ask a Question