Trimming hedges

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I find that neighbours who trim the hedges seem to forget that they have people living next door to them who like to enjoy the fullness and privacy of their shrubs and hedges so why cut it without talking to your neighbour first. Yes if it overgrows it is not nice but that is put there for a reason!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm assuming that it's the neighbour's hedge. Can't you grow your own hedge and create the privacy you want?

If it's your hedge and he's cutting that, then tell him to stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know how you feel about using the hedges as a privacy tool. I have one row of it and I like that it provides the privacy on my side, but sometime, we do need to trim me down and give up a bit of privacy since it can get out of hand.

Maybe you can ask the neighbor to just trim the hedges to a certain size?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the privacy hedges. Maybe talking to the person next door will help to come to an agreement on just high full the hedges need to be for the both of you to be happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
There are laws over here about how high your hedge can be. You can grow it as high as you like if your neighbours don't mind but if they object then it can be restricted to 6' 6" under the Anti Social Behaviour Act. Other circumstances can affect this height.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It annoys me too, Tasha. I absolutely hate not having privacy. Fortunately, my mom planted very high hedges in our garden and no one can get rid of them:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Well our front hedge was 8 feet high and could only be cut from a ladder. Now the first 14 yards of it are only 4 feet tall and the next 10 yards will be that height in a few weeks time. Since it is on the roadside, no-one but me will care about the height and the field hedges are about the same height too.
Mind it is a mix of Hawthorn and Blackthorn and an absolute b!"£$£$r to cut and dispose of. Our hands are like red pincushions and any splinters which we do not dig out, soon begin to fester.
Wish they had planted Hazel, or privet or beech or field maple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That sounds like a tough job!

The high hedge law over here only refers to evergreens. Deciduous don't come into it but there are laws on nuisance if they get too overbearing in the growing season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Just taken yesterdays cuttings down to the Recycling Yard. When we designed this garden I forgot to leave a space where we could have a bonfire and shredding thorny stuff is not something to be undertaken lightly.
Was going to do some more today, but the promised sun is hidden behind thick black clouds and driving rain.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It could be better if you could talk to him about it. He could leave some trees untrimmed to cover your privacy. Planting some for your own could be best because you will have the guts guard them.

Ask a Question