Wisteria trimmings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I finally got 2 wisteria vines growing and blooming! Now I understand why a lot of people say don't plant them, they grow fast! I know I need to trim the plants back, in particular the runners. My question is, if I put the trimmings in my brush pile, is there a chance these things could take root and end up where I don't want them? If so, what do I do to make sure I don't end up with the vines taking over the neighborhood?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I finally got 2 wisteria vines growing and blooming! Now I understand why a lot of people say don't plant them, they grow fast! I know I need to trim the plants back, in particular the runners. My question is, if I put the trimmings in my brush pile, is there a chance these things could take root and end up where I don't want them? If so, what do I do to make sure I don't end up with the vines taking over the neighborhood?
Yes that is correct and if they get loose it becomes a deep rooted green monster. On the good side at least it does not have thorns like a trifoliate orange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
So what do I do to make sure they don't escape? Would I need to burn the trimmings?

I think you'll be OK. They go very limp within minutes.

Plan what you're going to do with it. Best against a wall or a fence, like ours, This is supported by horizontal wires between eyes screwed into the fence posts at 1ft intervals.

31.JPG

P1050837.JPG

or over some sort of pergola,

35.JPG

or a single support. This is an old tree stump.

30.JPG

You'll be removing unwanted shoots from the roots upwards, weekly... all summer. This has to be done if you want to keep it under control. Prune in January, back to two to four buds. Do that and you'll have lots of blooms before any foliage.

P1010333.JPG

That comes later.

P1010663.JPG

Attachments

• P1050837.JPG
    P1050837.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
207.jpg
208.jpg
Yes, I have them planted on a wrought iron arbor. The one bloomed beautifully the last 2 years. The other plant is only on its 2nd year. I'm going to really have to stay ahead of them as I found a runner that had spread over 20 feet last fall.

Ask a Question