Tree roots and my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tree that just loves to have high roots. I don't have a problem with this, but I just can't seem to get grass to grow around where they are. It's shaded (because of the tree) and totally bare. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done? I feel like the roots have to be the cause of the lack of growth because the rest of my lawn looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a tree that just loves to have high roots. I don't have a problem with this, but I just can't seem to get grass to grow around where they are. It's shaded (because of the tree) and totally bare. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done? I feel like the roots have to be the cause of the lack of growth because the rest of my lawn looks great.
There are very few lawn grasses that will grow in the shade. Plant shade loving ground covers or flowers instead

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Although the roots can contribute to your lack of grass, it's probably more likely to be because of the shade. You could do as Chuck suggested, or buy a more shade tolerant grass seed.

There are various species of plants depending on your area and weather, this article discusses the different kinds: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/shade-tolerant-grass.htm

You could also try your local Home Depot, should you have one. I'm not sure if they have it anymore, but ours used to sell a "Shade Grass" bag of seeds.

If you would like to go another route, and depending on how big an area you need to cover, there are quite a few plants that thrive in the shade. We have hostas in our "forest" out back and they just love it there. There's plenty of plants that love the shade, just Google "shade loving plants for zone _" and enter your growing zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I have this same dilemma in my backyard and have tried from cheap grass seed on up to Scotts. I think that I may just be planting it wrong but heck, grass seed in dirt, water, and it grows. I need to know how to keep it from dying back. Well, actually I've given up on it and decided to invest in sod this year. That may die back too but at least I'll be able to enjoy it until it does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My front yard have two big trees and I have the same problem with their roots. I have tried to chop down all the new roots and planted grass seeds but nothing really can tame these beasts. To take down one of these huge trees, it would cost me around 2,000 to 3,000 thousands. So I just try to remove the new roots as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's a two fold problem you have. The high roots are sucking all the moisture up that the grass needs to get established, which will never happen. The second is shade. Yes they make a shade tolerant grass seed, BUT if you look whats in it, you will notice most of the seed is an annual type that will not grow back the next year.
What I would do (and have done) is pick up two flats of Pachysandra, and plant a nice circle around the tree. They are drought tolerant, and shade loving at the same time. To keep them in check, you only need to run the mower around the leading edge, and that's it! In two years time it should all have filled it's self in. If you are seeing some bare spots just snap off some ends of the ones growing, and stab them in the ground, and they will take with nary a problem.

Ask a Question