Too cold for hardening off?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to start putting my melon and basil sprouts outside during the day because I’ll be transplanting in two weeks, and was wondering if I can leave them out at night too? It’s mostly supposed to be in the low-mid 50s at night the next couple weeks, but there’s one night that’s supposed to be 40, and another not much higher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would wait. Both plants are warm weather plants and anything below about 55F will slow growth. Below 45F and growth stops. You want your plants to maintain their growth rates. If they slow down or stop it takes time for them to completely recover

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Now my turn...

I have a box full of small pots where I started melons, squash, and tomatoes. They've been outside on the deck for a full week now and will be put in the ground this weekend. Heck, the squash and melons have never moved from that spot on the deck.

But tonight we have a forecast low of 38 F and a frost warning. Should I bring them into the garage? Or put a lid on the box? Or survival of the fittest?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would wait. Both plants are warm weather plants and anything below about 55F will slow growth. Below 45F and growth stops. You want your plants to maintain their growth rates. If they slow down or stop it takes time for them to completely recover
Thanks!

Ask a Question