Too cold this Spring?

Reaction score
My seedlings of spinach, broccoli, and some lettuces are growing very slowly this year. I also noticed the garden centers have pulled a bunch of their veggies indoors to stay warm. Are we having a colder-than-usual Spring? I am in Vienna, VA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm down here in Jax, Fl and I was just thinking this yesterday, that it's been a very cool spring.

I sowed some seeds the other day and I'm worried that between the cool night temps and this very cold rain that it may drop my soil temp down too much for germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In 2021, I have yet to get a good sweat on, on any of my bike rides or runs this year. I just did a 50-mile ride the other day... virtually no sweat and I ride on roads with zero shade:smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Here in central Texas, it is definitely a cooler than usual spring. First we had a snow storm with single digit temperatures when we should have been planting potatoes and onions, and now temperatures are running about 10 degrees below normal. Vegetables (peas, onions, beans) are growing, and I just recently planted squash, tomato and pepper starts, and cucumbers. Only the broccoli and lettuces seem to be enjoying this weather. We are at least three weeks to a month behind on everything else.
Why is Mother Nature doing this to us?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I am in Ohio. There were several warm days in March. In April there were some days that the temperature was over 80 degrees. I have seen a white dogwood in blossom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Maybe if i cover the miniature green house the Husky Cherry Red will survive the snow and 29°F temperature the 20th. Just hoping the soil temperature will assist in preventing frost bite. If this actually produces tomatoes it will be a record being we always hope for a ripe tomato of some variety by July 4th.

Attachments

• Tomato -Husky Red - 4-17-21.JPG
    Tomato -Husky Red - 4-17-21.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Tomato -- Husky Red -- 4-17-21.JPG
    Tomato -- Husky Red -- 4-17-21.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Maybe if i cover the miniature green house the Husky Cherry Red will survive the snow and 29°F temperature the 20th. Just hoping the soil temperature will assist in preventing frost bite. If this actually produces tomatoes it will be a record being we always hope for a ripe tomato of some variety by July 4th.
Not so great. It dropped to 25°F and Jack Frost bit and it was in its green house plus wrapped and covered with 2 blankets. Maybe it will survive. BTW, the one that's frost damage is a Big Boy not Husky Cherry Red.

Attachments

• Tomato frost bite- 4-20-21.JPG
    Tomato frost bite- 4-20-21.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in central Texas, it is definitely a cooler than usual spring. First we had a snow storm with single digit temperatures when we should have been planting potatoes and onions, and now temperatures are running about 10 degrees below normal. Vegetables (peas, onions, beans) are growing, and I just recently planted squash, tomato and pepper starts, and cucumbers. Only the broccoli and lettuces seem to be enjoying this weather. We are at least three weeks to a month behind on everything else.
Why is Mother Nature doing this to us?
It's global warming.
Sad misanthropic masochists will find humans somehow to blame for everything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always plant some seed early, just in case we get a good Spring, this year I have been replanting. Even more of a problem, no rain. My water butts are almost empty, what happened to "April brings the sweet spring showers" ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very iffy weather this spring! Although the sun has peeped through, and it`s warm out of the wind, the ground is very dry and the water butts are running low. The sun brings out the new shoots in the day, and the frost kills them all off during the night.
Warm wet wind from the west is what we usually have, but this spring has been one arctic east, north easterly after another :cold:
Perseverance is the motto!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iffy here too. Things are just starting to get going though. I don't trust the weather overnight so i bring these out into the greehouse in the morning and then back in the house at night. Got a few other things around the house too.

PXL_20210424.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We'll have a good look at that Bees, ta (y)

Ask a Question