How cold is too cold?

Reaction score
I live in Texas and although it's mostly hot and humid, we do have those months that get too cold to be outside.

Even though freezing to us is 50 degree weather, but this year we've had a big dip in temperatures in the low 30's and I made sure to bring most of my plants inside just to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure some plants need to be brought inside to protect them, but how cold is too cold to leave plants outside?

Reaction score
I work on a rule of thumb that if they're woody types of plants or indeed herbs leave them be. Plants native to your area will do just fine, after all that's why they're native. We have however gotten into a culture of buying plants and trees that don't do well in areas other than the part of the world they're found in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends on a plant, I think. Some of them are less sensitive to cold than others. Once, I left my miniature roses on a balcony for over a night when it was around -12c and they survived, I still have them:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing that you can do to avoid having to bring the plants in when you think it may get to cold over night is to cover them with a sheet of plastic, like a plastic bag or a milk cartoon or soda bottle if they are small. This maybe a little easier that bringing all of the plants if they are large and it is for a short period of time.

Reaction score
I would agree with what claudine has already said - in that it very much depends on what type of plant it is but would add - that it also depends on the length of time the plants spend in freezing conditions.

Most semi - half hardy perennial plants and trees - even some succulents can withstand short periods of freezing temperatures even ones as low -5C - without doing too much harm - other than leaving some brown tinged or melted foliage - which although the plant won't look very attractive - it won't have been enough to kill the plant.
It is when you have regular prolonged periods of freezing weather for months on end that normally causes non- hardy plants to die - but saying that - my 6ft Aloes were once attacked by extreme weather for six weeks or more when the temperatures plummeted to well below - 15C with a wind chill of double that and survived - even though the tops had melted - the roots were fine and they are now back to their former glory :)

However if you know that a freak cold snap is coming - it is best to do as you did and protect as many plants as possible - which can be be done by bringing them temporarily undercover and covering those that you can't move with horticultural fleece - which is preferable but as Pat - has already pointed - can be done by covering them with soda bottles, egg cartons and even newspaper - but I would advise against using plastic bags or sheeting - for the simple reason that when you place plastic over a plant it tends to gather moisture on the inside - which over time collects and then freezes at night - which of course is just as fatal - if not more so than leaving a plant uncovered.

Reaction score
Well said gatamontes, it all depends on the type of plant and how long they will be in the frigid weather. Plastic works well in covering plants and I have used sheets and blankets - anything that will cover them at least for a night. I leave the covers on until it warms up and if its not going to rise very much temperature wise I just leave the covers on. Its not going to hurt them to be covered for a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Has anyone tried freeze cloth? I saw some at the garden center recently and I wondered how well it actually works. Most of my stuff in garden #1 fits in the greenhouse, but I'm still sorting out what I should do about the other two gardens when the temperature drops again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I usually only get plants that are native to my area so they can take the cold. It gets down to like 18 degrees sometimes in the dead of winter here. I was shoked to find that tulip bulbs can withstand these temperatures and not die. One year I left my bulbs in the ground and they produced like clock work the following spring.

Reaction score
It clearly depends on the species of plant. Some are more hardy than others. Since I'm not a botanist, I would do as you did and bring them all indoors as the temperature starts falling.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Texas and although it's mostly hot and humid, we do have those months that get too cold to be outside.

Even though freezing to us is 50 degree weather, but this year we've had a big dip in temperatures in the low 30's and I made sure to bring most of my plants inside just to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure some plants need to be brought inside to protect them, but how cold is too cold to leave plants outside?

I suppose it depends on the plant. We get a lot colder than you, here in Iowa, but we usually get advanced warning (this year maybe being the exception). Frost warnings are issued for plants if the temperature dips below about 35. That isn't cold enough for some areas, but possible in lower spots, and on surfaces off the warmer ground. This could still put potted plants in danger of being damaged or killed, even in a light frost. Just to be safe, I don't trust projected temperatures under 45.

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
I think it depends on the plants.Some plants are tough but some tender. You can google your plants and find the details. Have a nice day!

Ask a Question