Tomato Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been growing tomatoes for 20 years in my greenhouse with no problems, this year my tomato plants got off to a good start and produced tomatoes which I generally harvest in August/ September, the tomatoes were in the process of ripening when several of my plants started to wither in the gro-bags, while other plants in the same gro-bag were still green there was no visible reason for this, on pulling the plants up to discard, I found they had a very poor root system, does anyone know why this could happen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Late in the season? Something buggy got in and brought a disease vector most likely or something blew in and fungified them. Or something got used in a unique to those plants kinda way, which would be a bit odd really since we usually treat them similarly especially close like that.

The trees and grass are both the reservoirs of fungal varities. Dry leaves and tall grass do not help. Dry and windy makes a spore fly. If it lands in moisture it sets up shop. Bugs just come and go with some years having more of one type than any other. The fruit of the stricken plants may have visible bites. Even the survivors might show bites. It takes a while for disease to grow. Sorry for your loss I know it as a frustrating experience myself.

Last edited:

Ask a Question