Tomato Fungus?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks! Continuing in my first year gardening and I'm having a great time. I'm learning so much so quickly!

I think I have some sort of infection on my tomato plants, but I'm not sure which. Once I know which it is, is there even anything to do about it? Or, should I just hope it still produces regardless? These came from small seedlings and I've been pruning suckers off as much as I can remember to.

Attachments

• IMG_7129 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7129 Large.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7126 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7126 Large.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7128 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7128 Large.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7127 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7127 Large.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first two pictures are higher up (2 feet, 1.5 feet) but the last one is close to the soil.
The reason I asked is that Early Blight starts at the bottom of a plant and works its way up. It is a fungus although which one I cannot say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ahh, that's good to know. It probably is like that -- is there anything to do about early blight?
Prevention is the main cure for EB. One can ward off EB by removing all of the limbs and leaves that are within about a foot of the soil. Never splash soil onto the leaves. Mulch around the base of the plant. Keep agricultural cornmeal sprinkled on the soil and spray every week with cornmeal tea. Remove all yellowing leaves. What one tries to do with EB is to keep it under control until you harvest. Once a plant has EB I don't think there is a cure, or, at least I have never seen one. One can also spray Neem Oil at any time but it also has a limited effect.

Ask a Question