Today's Pickings

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
First...but not last Whopper of 2020... 1 lbs 13 ounces.
first tomatoe.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Green beans and new potatoes...is there anything better?

green beans and potatoes 2020.JPG

I've planted the last of the bush beans in my gardening...from now on its pole beans for me. So easy to harvest, great tasting (better than my bush beans), and very productive The above basket is the third picking with each basket providing 10 plus canned jars and huge pots of fresh green beans and new potatoes.

pole beans.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
They look great @Meadowlark
I used to grow runner beans in containers because haven't got room in the ground and can protect them from slugs and snails better, but was getting too much to do but i liked the fresh beans.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Are runner beans the same as pole beans...just different support?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Runner beans versus pole beans. North versus South, sort of, runner beans like cooler weather and climb clockwise. Pole beans like it warmer and climb counterclockwise. Runner beans more popular in England, pole beans rule in America.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Busy in the garden today. Picked the Pineapple tomato this morning along with some other varieties like the Mortgage Lifter.

Later, I picked a pound of hot chilis, Super, Serrano and Cayenne to make a Thai inspired hot sauce.
8BEC2A4C-674D-4A33-A732-C07C249EAF49.jpeg
DB1A4A0C-6D66-4ED1-B759-BF1A6A603F48.jpeg
5CF1AB31-0397-45B8-B88F-999F20BA05B9.jpeg
DD3B27F6-71C3-4CE1-B520-99E091D58B4D.jpeg
D9D35CB5-DCC8-4BB3-83DA-0D1DACBD5382.jpeg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, we use the water bath canning method and have for many years. Never had a problem with it. We use the jars contents in about a year going from harvest to harvest and for that span of time, the home canned are very close to garden fresh in taste.

Its almost impossible to use them all fresh if you have a good stand of tomatoes. Canning is a way to extend that harvest safely and efficiently. We try to can about 30 jars which does the harvest to harvest for two of us. We use them in soups, sauces, chili, pizza, etc. etc. and get that garden fresh taste all year long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good, thanks for the great information. I might at some point go the canning route for tomatoes. I did read about freezing ripe tomatoes whole and it is supposed to end up like whole peeled tomatoes, easy to peel once thawed and good for the same things canned whole tomatoes are used for. May trial a few that way and see what they end up like once frozen then thawed. I‘ve got a decent amount of freezer space and it would be a whole lot less work and mess than the canning route.

Ask a Question