Today's Pickings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
21C9A1D7-56F3-4EEE-8A25-C5A71A127A7D.jpeg
D4ADC994-A4B6-439E-8F5C-8CE0D225FFAE.jpeg

really good cucumbers! First time growing them and they way beat store bought.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Last of the broccoli...

Here in East Texas we grow, harvest, and consume broccoli from Oct. to May 1. I never liked store bought broccoli(actually hated it) but fresh from our garden it is one of my top favorites.

Sorry to see the last of it until next Oct. but this one is showing signs that it should be harvested today.

brock last of 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First tomato today that wasn’t a cherry or grape type. Cherokee Purple, one of those not very pretty ones that was down near the ground. Good to break the ice, so to speak, and take one away from the squirrels and worms.

Attachments

• 03BBECD8-ACCB-4CDF-94AC-E5E86F497D74.jpeg
    03BBECD8-ACCB-4CDF-94AC-E5E86F497D74.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
B269D038-DBB1-479C-A29E-9DD0F5B20CEA.jpeg

Been getting a lot of these, fun for a first time cucumber grower. Seem to have two different varieties, but planted only one type, Garden Sweet Burpless, or so I thought. Bought the seed from feed store where they store their seeds in metal bins. The longer cucumbers look like Garden Sweet, but the smooth ones, i have no idea what they are. They both are good, the smooth ones have thin skin and don’t require
any peeling.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my experience, the rough textured cucumbers make the best pickles and the smooth skinned ones are best eaten fresh. They do look like maybe two different kinds. I love 'em sliced and soaked overnight in a vinegar solution.

I usually try a new type each year and this year am trying Sir Crunch a lot along with a pickling variety. Sir Crunch is off to a slow start but coming on strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I may have to pickle a few. My wife takes the excess to work and her coworkers gobble them up. My daughter told us to slice them up and squeeze a little fresh lime juice plus a spoonful of hidden valley ranch, the dry mix, and put in a ziploc then chill. Very delicious!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
First bucket of new potatoes today...one down and about 20 to go, LOL.
Very few (almost none) small ones...which is good and bad as I like to can the small ones but , of course, larger ones equals more production. Looking like a bumper crop. I always leave the dirt on until they are used.
first bucket 2020.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Nachos anyone? First time to try this particular recipe but we love nachos and they have to be better with jalapenos from the garden, right?

nachos 2020.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
@Meadowlark what are nachos?

I forget this Is an international forum, LOL. Nachos originated from Northern Mexico but are widely enjoyed all over North and South Americas.

Ignacio "El Nacho" Anaya is credited for creating the dish in 1943; the original nachos consisted of fried corn tortilla chips covered with melted cheese( salsa con queso shown below) and sliced jalapeño peppers. More elaborate versions include hamburger, beans, chicken, etc, etc. toppings.

The original is simplest, quick, and very tasty...try it!!

nachos.JPG

Ask a Question