Toads In The Garden

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this tip on Pinterest that toads in the garden can be very helpful as a pest controll.

"Who needs pesticides to protect your flowers and vegetable garden when a single toad can eat thousands upon thousands of pesky garden insects in a single season? In fact, they may eat as many as 50 to 100 slugs, flies, grubs, grasshoppers, and cutworms in just one night! need to build ours a little home!"

Attracting Toads to Your Garden
ThriftyFun
This is a guide about attracting toads to your garden. Tried of having your flowers and vegetables serve as a smorgasbord for all kinds of garden pest. The toad is a great natural pest control solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We have plenty of frogs in our garden this year, thanks to the rain we had in May and June. There are at least three that seem to be living in my raised beds. I love it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's funny, I've had toads and leopard frogs in my yard in the past but not for the last 2-3 years. That I've seen anyway. And on Sunday I was chatting to someone I met and she also has a pond and a garden and we agreed that it was weird the toads and frogs have become so absent recently. And we've had very wet growing seasons recently, too.

Next spring I may actually look into buying leopard tadpoles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I didn't know toads eat slugs:eek: This is kind of disgusting:confused:
But I'd love to attract more toads to my parents' garden. They're such funny looking creatures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would be a fantastic idea if I don't live in the city, and don't have a dog. My dog would sniff it out and eat it before anything else.

Something to keep in mind for gardeners though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We used to have frogs when we had a pool. Got rid of it for a variety of reasons but I do miss it in summer and now I realize I'm missing out on frogs as well. I used to love the sound of their croaking and the kids loved watching the tadpoles grow into frogs. Beth B you have mentioned those leopard frogs before and I do feel I must have them even if it's just to coordinate with my leopard skin leggings. A friend gave them to me. She bought them for a fancy dress and wouldn't wear them herself. They are lovely and warm.:LOL:
I guess I'd need a pond to try reintroducing them here and would the dog really eat them IcyB?:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That would be a fantastic idea if I don't live in the city, and don't have a dog. My dog would sniff it out and eat it before anything else.

Something to keep in mind for gardeners though!
I forgot I have a dog too;) He spends a lot of time looking for creatures smaller than him. But I don't think he'd eat a toad. Slimmy things gross him out:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I forgot I have a dog too;) He spends a lot of time looking for creatures smaller than him. But I don't think he'd eat a toad. Slimmy things gross him out:LOL:

Capone is still a pup in a sense, so he will do something and I am not sure what, but he will definitely have a great chase and trying :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I have dogs and they didn't seem to deter the toads and frogs (when I had them.) The frogs would jump into the little pond whenever they got close, and toads are out at night, when my dogs are mostly indoors. I am bringing home a new puppy tomorrow; today some friends of mine are going to put up a fence around the pond in case he decides he likes water. :)

Reaction score
My in laws have a lot toads in their garden, no wonder they have no issues with pests. For them is easy to attract them, because the toads come on their own, thanks to the little pond they have outside. It's full of god fish and a lot toads visit it often :)

Reaction score
I didn't know toads eat slugs:eek: This is kind of disgusting:confused:
But I'd love to attract more toads to my parents' garden. They're such funny looking creatures!

Yeah, toads eat all sorts of things :censored: I have seen them eating really big slugs and snails. They are great at it and that is why my in laws can grow all sorts of things without an issue :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yeah, toads eat all sorts of things :censored: I have seen them eating really big slugs and snails. They are great at it and that is why my in laws can grow all sorts of things without an issue :)
Poor slugs and snails. It must be awful to end up eaten by a toad:eek::confused: Now, when I think about it, toads look quite scary. I prefer tiny, green frogs:)

Reaction score
Poor slugs and snails. It must be awful to end up eaten by a toad:eek::confused: Now, when I think about it, toads look quite scary. I prefer tiny, green frogs:)

Me too, I don't like toads that much! You know? We know when the cat has been trying to hunt toads because his mouth foams, lol. They're that gross! As for little green frogs, I found one in my garden once, they're adorable, but its skin is so slimy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Me too, I don't like toads that much! You know? We know when the cat has been trying to hunt toads because his mouth foams, lol. They're that gross! As for little green frogs, I found one in my garden once, they're adorable, but its skin is so slimy.
That's disgusting:p I'm glad my dog has never eaten a toad!
I like looking at tiny frogs and listening to the sounds they make, but I would never touch them;)

Reaction score
That's disgusting:p I'm glad my dog has never eaten a toad!
I like looking at tiny frogs and listening to the sounds they make, but I would never touch them;)

I once found one in our shower D: A little frog :LOL::ROFLMAO: My mom was ready to step on it, but I was on time to take it outside to a safe place. He was very tiny, I later read it was a type of frog that was kept as pet by a lot people. I wish I had knowb, I'd like to have kept it as a pet.

Ask a Question