This. Means. War!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
A slimy war!

I just checked outside, it's getting dark. I see a BUNCH of snails out in my garden. I have been dealing with a lot of my vegetable plants going missing. It all ends now.

I set up one trap but just added 2 more. I have 3 traps ready for those pesty snails. They're going down.

I took all the snails I saw and helped them in a nice bath of beer. Wish my luck! I'll update everyone with my results tomorrow. I'm so happy. I have been wondering what has been eating my crops for a long while. It feels good getting confirmed it was snails this whole time.

I was seriously going to buy ladybugs tomorrow. Instead, I'm getting some slug killing bait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I thought I never had them either. I always thought snails would be the last problem I'd ever have.

I have been trying to fight stink bugs and aphids this whole time when I never had one in my life. Well, I wouldn't say "never". I saw one in my potted plants, but that was it.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I'm serious. They have to be purged for two weeks, to ensure that anything they ate that is toxic to humans has been eliminated.

So you might turn your "pests" into "pets!" But yep, they are escargot.

:whistle:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, I have not. But I won't hold it against you... :ROFLMAO:

I really .have been trying to get over my food pickiness. I have promised myself that if offered, I'll try anything. (Well, almost anything...) If I were in a restaurant, and the person I was with ordered escargot, I'd ask to try one.

I tend to be prejudiced against certain foods based on the texture in my mouth. For instance, I do not like cream cheese on a bagel, simply because of the heavy, oily feel of it. Regardless of how it tastes, it feels like .Crisco on a cracker. (n) I'm thinking slugs & snails would "feel wrong."

On the other hand, I know there are people waaaay more adventurous than I am. So if any of them read your thread, and never realized that expensive dish was living in their garden, I'm just putting it out there! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have eaten snails in Paris, and they were delicious :D That being said, they probably weren't regular garden snails...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Becky... au contraire mon cheri!! ... ;) :LOL:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Eating-Your-Garden-Snails-3302266.php
Yes, the local common garden snail is the European brown -- Helix aspersa. They were imported here in the early 1850s by a Frenchman who intended to sell them as food, but the market here during the Gold Rush was too unsophisticated for snails. He ended up dumping some snails, and another collection escaped. Snails are hermaphroditic, so of course they reproduced like crazy.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/q-and-a/a4828/escargot-0808/
The common garden snail found here in the U.S. -- Helix aspersa, the European brown snail -- is among those served in gay Paree,

http://foodal.com/knowledge/how-to/preparing-and-serving-escargot/
Of course, some people do choose to harvest their own backyard snails. If you are “lucky” enough to have your own snail infestation, you can find many tasty treats in your garden. {...snip...}
The meat may be a bit smaller, but they should taste just as good if not better than the canned variety.

http://www.thedinnerfiles.com/2013/04/23/snails/
Yet the fact that our garden snails and escargots are, at heart, the same, came out on New Years Eve when our son finally got his escargots, and the table reveled in that funny fact. At our son’s insistence – since escargots are so very delicious, mind you – I then harvested, purged, and cooked snails

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/escargot-zmaz93jjztak.aspx
After years of battling snails in my garden while cooking up escargots purchased at a premium from a local import shop, I finally got wise. As long as I was gathering garden snails, why not harvest them for dinner? One bite told me I was onto something: those fresh snails from my garden, though smaller, tasted far superior to the pricey escargots from cans.

Still not going to try them, mind you... :cautious:

:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I could barely hold them by their shells. I don't think I want to eat them. They haven't even crossed my mind as edible. They are so slimy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I lived in France for a while, tried snails a bunch of times, and IMHO snails are nasty food, even when cooked by fancy chefs at fancy restaurants! Tough and slimy at the same time. :eek: The only thing that makes them palatable is garlic butter. But garlic butter would make naugahyde taste palatable.

Thankfully I don't have a snail issue here. :cool:

Ask a Question