the smell?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I think that one is a lot easier for men. lol I'm going to skip that part, especially as my garden is in the side yard and very visible from the street :eek:
You COULD actually "go" into a gazunder, or similar receptacle, and pour it from there.
I wee into my compost heap, that's why I put it directly below my bedroom window,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You COULD actually "go" into a gazunder, or similar receptacle, and pour it from there.
I wee into my compost heap, that's why I put it directly below my bedroom window,
Excellent suggestion. Does double duty, helps the compost pile and repels burgulars

Reaction score
I learn something new every day. Today I will delve into just what a gazunder is! lol.

Ok, I'm going to be lazy here, what does the urine do to contribute to the compost pile? Does it just get things decomposing faster?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I learn something new every day. Today I will delve into just what a gazunder is! lol.

Ok, I'm going to be lazy here, what does the urine do to contribute to the compost pile? Does it just get things decomposing faster?
Yes

Yes, it helps start composting by adding acids. Something else about human urine. If you add 2 tablespoons of bloodmeal to a quart of urine it acts as a great deer repellant. As for a gazunder I haven't a clue either

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. I, as far as I know, have no gazunder but I do have a suitable container and as I've had my coffee, I'll make a preparation for my composts :sneaky: None of my neighbors will know what I am watering it with.

Reaction score
Ok, compost additive taken care of. I tried to get my son to take care of it but he said no way, not with the nosy neighbor we have. So I had to do it myself. Is this something I should do often? This was never covered in any of my gardening books!!

My day just got long enough to get my chores done. When I went out to enhance my garden I found out it's pouring out. :devil:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info.. I, as far as I know, have no gazunder but I do have a suitable container and as I've had my coffee, I'll make a preparation for my composts :sneaky: None of my neighbors will know what I am watering it with.
Word of advise. Don't get distracted and use the wrong coffee cup

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Urine contributes fast nitrogen.

The term "gazunder" refers to by-gone days, when people had no internal plumbing, and urinating after bedtime meant either a trudge outside in the cold, or sleeping in the "wet spot".

In the middle ages, a bright spark decided that a large bowl type cup, known as a chamber pot, was the answer.

It gazunder the bed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hahaha! Yall crack me up!
Maybe peeing out there will double as claiming the yard back from the dog. That brat has been pulling up everything we plant :mad:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

No messing around here then, an express elevator straight to the compost heap :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No messing around here then, an express elevator straight to the compost heap :D
We had this when I little but we called it an outhouse and ours was a 2 holer. My uncle had a larger family and had a more modern 4 holer complete with a Sears catalogue and a TP holder. Sometimes it even had a roll of paper on it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Paper? Luxury :D Seed catalogues are nice and soft :)

Reaction score
What I did to combat the smell was get a black composting bin and just keep it as far away from the house as I could. I then drilled a couple holes in it near the top to keep the smell flowing. Look into it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I did to combat the smell was get a black composting bin and just keep it as far away from the house as I could. I then drilled a couple holes in it near the top to keep the smell flowing. Look into it :)
It still has to drain or it will become anerobic. It needs to be moist. It shouldn't have an unpleasent odor at all

Reaction score
You guys are so funny.. I don't use a coffee cup for my gazunder, with my memory I would grab the wrong cup! compost pile outside your bedroom... Men have it too easy!

But I shouldn't complain. My husband dug up about 40 x 5' of garden last night for me. Usually I don't have to do that but since the snow and ice came before we got the black plastic over most of the garden, the leaves and grass didn't compost, they just froze.

Ask a Question