The leaves of this plant smell like the lemon peal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We were weeding out this morning and spotted this plant. It has red stems and the leaves smell like the peal of lemons. Could I get help to identify this plant please. Thank you.

lemonpealsmell.jpg

lemonpeelsmell1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I've never seen a plant like this in person. I'd love to grow it though! The smell of lemon peel is amazing:)

Reaction score
I am so not sure. At first I thought you were talking about lemon balm but it doesn't look like this at all. This is a beautiful plant. I love anything that smells like lemon. In my mind I am wondering if this is a herb. I sure hope someone can find out the name of this plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Indian Prickly-ash (Zanthoxylum rhetsa) in the Rue Family (Rutaceae). This species has various culinary and medicinal uses due to its spicy-citrus scent. it is native to southern and southeastern Asia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Australia.

Ask a Question