the smell?

Reaction score
is there a composting technique that doesn't smell? we have a ridiculous amount of lawn waste which the owner of the house wants to throw in the regular garbage to be picked up. when I suggested composting it instead she said it was too smelly.
I'm really against using extra plastic bags to throw away something that would benefit us

Reaction score
Turn it frequently, and make sure you don't get anything like meat in it. If turned often, it shouldn't really smell at all. Make sure it gets moisture but don't let it stay soggy, that's when things will start to smell horrible.

There are compost starters on the market that will help it compost faster, which I *think* would keep the smell to a minimum.

There are also composting barrels that you can turn daily. I have one and it never smells at all, until I open the base it sits on, which catches the compost tea, but once I open that I quickly put it on the garden and the smell is gone in a few minutes.

Reaction score
I've never had no luck with no smelling. I actually quit doing this many years ago due to this very reason. I don't think I could ever go back this route.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never had any odor associated with my compost pile. I don't put anything prepared, cooked or any kind of meat in it though. I also add a sizeable amount of sugars to it to make it hotter like molasses or dark colored soft drinks like coke or dr. pepper.

Reaction score
Awesome! It will just be yard waste and ill turn it. I don't think ill bother with a box because we have a lot of worms where its at. We removed these big ugly bushes that were in the beds by the house and from all the leaves that had gotten stuck under them the soil was amazing so I have high hopes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Awesome! It will just be yard waste and ill turn it. I don't think ill bother with a box because we have a lot of worms where its at. We removed these big ugly bushes that were in the beds by the house and from all the leaves that had gotten stuck under them the soil was amazing so I have high hopes
And don't throw away the lawn grass clippings or the leaves that fall of off any trees you have.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It would help if you could layer it with drier material, crumpled cardboard is good if you haven't got anything else, stops it turning into an anerobic slimey pile, which would smell bad. Normal aerobic composting doesn't smell bad :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would help if you could layer it with drier material, crumpled cardboard is good if you haven't got anything else, stops it turning into an anerobic slimey pile, which would smell bad. Normal aerobic composting doesn't smell bad :)
Exactly right. And it must drain. I put mine on metal sheets and have holes punched in them

Reaction score
drain? I made a pile of yard waste directly on the ground. I figured that's how the worms get in

Reaction score
Mine is right on the ground too, although most of my compost material goes onto a 4x4' square I leave fallow each year. I rotate this square from year to year.

When I have to much to fit on that square that's when I resort to my barrel and my pile on the yard.

I always plant squash or pumpkins in my compost pile to disguise it. I just make sure I pack down the compost every well where I am putting the plants.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Helps to wee on the heap to get it going too, just don't let the neighbours see you

Reaction score
I think that one is a lot easier for men. lol I'm going to skip that part, especially as my garden is in the side yard and very visible from the street :eek:

Reaction score
As mentioned there should be no smell. But you need to stir it or otherwise turn it over. Don't forget you need the carbon material such as tree leaves; nitrogen materials like grass clippings, moisture (occasional watering and air. .

Ask a Question