Is my smelly vermicompost safe to spread in the garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time posting here. I started a vermicompost bin a few months ago, and I'm ready to harvest some of the castings/compost for my garden. It wasn't until I scooped some out today, though, that I noticed the compost is really wet/slimy, and has a pretty bad stench. I've read the smell might be a sign that anaerobic bacteria grew and produced alcohols that are dangerous for plants. Should I use this on my new garden? Is there anything I can do to test whether it's safe (using only pH strips and household supplies)?

FYI, the worms themselves seem to be doing great - good color, reproducing well, spread throughout the bin - and my simple bin (bucket in a bucket with drainage and ventilation holes) hasn't been collecting condensation or anything. I collected castings once before, around early January, but it didn't have this smell. I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Juice/leachate drains into another bin below. Seems to be draining neatly. I removed leachate last week, and the leachate level was ~2 inches away from touching the top bin.

I probably should've been more specific with my adjectives. I guess it wasn't so wet, but it seemed more wet and more stinky than the first time I harvested. It's about the consistency of... Uh... Maybe ice cream just before it melts? Or mushy dirt/mud. It just seems more wet than last time. I've left it out to dry for now, but I'll wait to hear/read more before I put it in the garden

Ask a Question