The Isle of Man

Reaction score
the motorcycle races are how i am familiar with the isle of man, but the pictures of the overall island look nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a gorgeous place you're living in! Everything about this island sounds absolutely amazing and intriguing. So much history is there also! St. Patrick's island, is that the one that was the home of St. Patrick, the patron Saint of Ireland?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My husband told me they had big rock concerts there in the seventies?

Sorry R.R. your husband has got it wrong, the Isle of Man is so often mixed up with the Isle of Wight which is off the coast of southern England. The Isle of Wight is where the concerts were held. :)

St. Patrick's island, is that the one that was the home of St. Patrick, the patron Saint of Ireland?

Thanks IcyBC. :)

It wasn't the home of St. Patrick but it's said to be the first place he set foot on the island so it was named after him.

The City of Peel. I took these two pictures from St. Patrick's Isle.
054.JPG

053.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Fantastic. Sheal I saw your post about getting the appropriate flag and it was there I notice you were from Isle of Man. I was a motorcycle fanatic in my younger years and used to be pretty well versed on the Isle of Man TT, really no other race in the world like it. I used to read all about it in the motorcycle magazines.

Reaction score
What a delightful thread! I loved every single one of your pictures truly lovely! Specially the ones with the flowers! You live in a really beautiful place, thanks for taking the time to tell us more about your wonderful home. By the way, I love Manx cats, so sad to hear they are becoming rare!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Fantastic. Sheal I saw your post about getting the appropriate flag and it was there I notice you were from Isle of Man. I was a motorcycle fanatic in my younger years and used to be pretty well versed on the Isle of Man TT, really no other race in the world like it. I used to read all about it in the motorcycle magazines.

Thanks Greenhorn. :) There is discussion going on at the moment about making T.T. into a worldwide event, sadly I think it would kill off the special racing event that it is now. There are road racing events held in a few other countries which obviously don't affect the island, the nearest one to us being the 'North West 200' which is held in Ireland just a few weeks before TT. If it does become international then it will be ruined by the likes of the stringent health and safety regulations, politics and money. No to this! I think it should remain special and remain here solely.

Below a couple of videos to give everyone an idea what T.T. is all about. These bikers race on closed roads at speeds of up to 200mph and a course that is approximately 38 miles/61 km long. On the first video, if you watch carefully between time points 4.20 and 4.38 you will see the bikers riding through my village.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
What a delightful thread! I loved every single one of your pictures truly lovely! Specially the ones with the flowers! You live in a really beautiful place, thanks for taking the time to tell us more about your wonderful home. By the way, I love Manx cats, so sad to hear they are becoming rare!

Thank you Trellum. :) A lot of the island is still unspoilt but unfortunately to cope with the expanding population which is currently around 80,000 people, the island is building huge housing estates around the existing towns and villages. The properties are all identical and cheaply built, a real disappointment and blot on the islands landscape.

It's nice to know you love Manx cats. I'm not keen on cats of any sort, preferring dogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Shea that is just gorgeous shots! It looks so modern! I love how the houses are so close to the water and all that boats parked waiting for a ride out to the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well I have made a decision. If the presidential elections come down to Clinton vs. Bush we are moving to one of three places... Isle of Man, St. Patrick Isle, or New Zealand. I never knew about these Isles. :( guess that is what I get for sleeping through Geography classes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You are like me Kevin, I'm not a person that delays long on decisions. :) However you can't live on St. Patricks Isle as it's only big enough for the castle, so that leaves you the Isle of Man or New Zealand. perhaps you had better toss a coin! :D

043.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you Trellum. :) A lot of the island is still unspoilt but unfortunately to cope with the expanding population which is currently around 80,000 people, the island is building huge housing estates around the existing towns and villages. The properties are all identical and cheaply built, a real disappointment and blot on the islands landscape.

It's nice to know you love Manx cats. I'm not keen on cats of any sort, preferring dogs.

That is a shame to hear! It's sad people, specially companies is always trying to keep up with this fast life rhythm we are seeing more and more nowadays :( So unique looking and well built housing is a thing of the past now, the trend is ''identical'' and cheap. So sad :( I'm seeing it in my city... it's a shame... lots generic looking houses.

Ask a Question