Euonymus manhattan leaves falling off

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have 13 Euonymus plants outside in large pots. Two have shown signs of stress, leaves falling off at the base. Is this caused by not watering enough or overwatering? (Photo) Also several other plants the leaves are not falling off but the leaves are yellowing (photo) The other plants seem to be OK They are all watered the same way.

Attachments

• Plants 1.JPG
    Plants 1.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Plants 1 close.JPG
    Plants 1 close.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 810
  • Plants 2.JPG
    Plants 2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 754
  • Plant yellowing.JPG
    Plant yellowing.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,648
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could it be anything else? They are not yellowing at the tip and I see no evidence of a bug, (yet)!
If it were a watering issue there would be signs of browning on the leaf margins. If it were a fungal problem there would be darkening on portions of the leaf and stems. Scale on the other hand is a sucking insect and there are 2 types. Hard and soft scale. Both cause yellowing. What I believe you have now is soft scale but if not treated will also become a hard scale issue. I magnified the last picture. It shows very tiny white spots on many of the leaves. Look closely as these things are VERY tiny. Get a magnifying glass and look at leaves. When you see a white spot rub your finger over it and if it smears it is soft scale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! What can I use to get rid of this? Something like neem oil?
I posted earlier that it isn't a watering issue. But how about the plants being root bound? Have you checked lately? You may be watering correctly but the plants may not be able to uptake the water because of compacted roots. This will weaken the plant and invite unwanted insects such as scale. I would check this out. Use a neem spray for the insects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They were replanted in these larger pots last year. Could they be root bound already? If so what do we do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They were replanted in these larger pots last year. Could they be root bound already? If so what do we do?
I just thought it was worth mentioning as a reason for this. If repotted last year they shouldn't be root bound if planted into a substantially larger container.

Ask a Question