The Goat Tree

Reaction score
These rare and unusual trees come in many varieties and originate from North Africa.

argangoats2.jpg

3535425777_b03c3a770d_z.jpg

treegoats.jpg

The Goat Tree bear edibles fruits throughout the year, which are delicious fried, roasted or dipped in batter, and
the outer coating is also useful for slippers and coats. :D

Should you wish to grow one of these trees, availability is currently limited to North Africa and The Mediterranean Islands.

Would you like one? :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Ever read Spike Milligan's war memoires? The cook took revenge on an overbearing officer while they were serving in North Africa, by mixing goat poo with potatoes and serving it up as "Rissoles"

The officer loved them and asked for more. The cook told Milligan, now he really is full of.........

Reaction score
LOL Zigs - haven't read the book, but watched his shows on TV :)

Just to be on the safe side, think I shall always, make a point of politely refusing any offer of " Rissoles" when visiting North African Countries or even other parts of the Mediterranean for that matter - maybe I should also be , a bit more cautious about eating those chocolate covered raisins as well :D.

Zigs you mentioning that :censored: 'S' word made me remember, I totally forgot to mention that The Goat Tree is extremely low maintenance and very easy to care for, as not only is it self pollinating and self pruning but also self fertilizing :D

Reaction score
That is great! I just saw how friendly goats can be on a show about surviving in Alaska. Your warm weather tree is cute.

I will stay away from the stew though.... thanks to both for a fun thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, this looks so funny and surreal! At first, I thought that the pictures were photoshopped:p
But why do the goats want to climb trees? Do they try to reach delicious fruits? Aren't they scared of falling down?:p

Reaction score
LOL, does anyone know why goats are doing that over there? This is so odd! But it looks extremely funny! It must be very messy tho, so I'll stick to the Wisteria tree instead :p By the way, I grew up in a rural are with a lot goats and I never saw this kind of behaviour... hence I feel super intrigued right now!

Reaction score
Claudine

Not being an expert on goat behavior :D as to why these goats want to climb trees, or whether they are scared of falling out, is somewhat beyond my capabilities.:)

There are however, some very delicious and valuable fruits on these trees, which apparently for some reason or another these goats don't touch = try working that one out :D

Trellum

What these goats are doing is very odd I agree, but extremely funny for us.:LOL: I too, have lived in areas with lots of goats, who I know, can devour whole gardens overnight and eat the washing off the line - but have never come across this kind of behavior before - can only think it must be some kind of affliction, that only affects the goats from North Africa :D

Reaction score
Zigs - What part or parts are we sharing ? :D

Its a very nice looking goat though - much nicer than the ones around here, or maybe thats just because its been shampooed and brushed up, to encourage people to share its parts.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Found it on Bookface, just tickled my sense of humus :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The first and third photo made me think someone had made stick platforms for some of the goats. Do you think herdsmen might put the goats up in trees at night to keep them safe from predators? Looks like a very desolate landscape.

Used to have milk goats. Loved their crazy personalities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jewell, I don't think so, because although this way they would be safe from predators, they still could fall down, which is probably equally dangerous. Anyway, I had no idea that goats are so agile. I always imagined them to be calm and lazy. I thought that their main activity is eating grass;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When I was working in Turkey, we went out to a restaurant one evening, it turned out that the owners Dad was working on the same site that we were. Halfway thru the meal the owner asked us to go outside, his Dad had turned up with his flock of about 10 Goats.

We had to inspect each one and say how good they were before we could carry on with the meal :D It was surreal.

Ask a Question