Ten Toxic House Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Another thread prompted me to post this. This is only a list of 10 but there are so many more out there that you may have and not even know. For the sake of your children, pets, and other peoples children... please research the plants you have in your home or going to buy to check if they are toxic or not. This does not mean you can't have it, just make for sure pets and children can not get to it.

• Philodendron
  • Pothos
  • Arrowhead
  • Lily
  • Peace Lily
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Oleander
  • Caladium
  • Mother-In-Law's Tongue
  • Ivy

Last edited:
Reaction score
As you mentioned there are many, many plants that are toxic to both children and pets and as this is something that not everyone is aware of and as its always better to be safe rather than sorry and check first - as we already have a thread on this topic - with lots of helpful information including the names of some very reliable and reputable sites for checking out which plants are safe and those that are not - am including the link here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/top-household-plants-that-are-toxic-for-pets.2973/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lily...as in any kind of lily? I knew that they weren't good for cats, but I didn't realize they could be problematic for children as well. Thanks for the information, definitely something to keep in mind that might get overlooked.

Reaction score
Yes by Lily - that means any plant that belongs to the Lily family is highly toxic and particularly so for cats and includes many of the commonly grown indoor plants - such as

The Peace Lily
Calla or Arum Lilies
Asiatic or Easter Lilies
Amaryllis - even though it is not a true member of the lily family
as well as many more - including Lily of The Valley

As there tends to be a bit of variation between what plants are toxic to cats to that of what is toxic to dogs - as well as children too and as the symptoms of poisoning don't show up instantly and can often go undetected for quite some considerable time before they start to show and because of that - it is always best to check that any plants you have or are thinking of having either in your house or growing in your garden - will not put your pets or your children at risk - in order to make life easier - here is

a reliable and reputable site for checking all plants toxic to cats

https://user.xmission.com/~emailbox/plants.htm

as well as this one - which not only lists all plants that would be toxic to children but also many plants that are safe too

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/HealthAZ/SafetyandtheEnvironment/Poisoning/Pages/Plant-safety.aspx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is not a good news:( I grow a few beautiful and big peace lilies indoors. Now, I'm starting to think that I should get rid of them. They're wonderful plants and I love looking at them, but I'd never forgive myself if something happened to my dog because of my selfishness:(

Reaction score
This is not a good news:( I grow a few beautiful and big peace lilies indoors. Now, I'm starting to think that I should get rid of them. They're wonderful plants and I love looking at them, but I'd never forgive myself if something happened to my dog because of my selfishness:(
My dog once got in a fight with my cactus plant. The cactus won. Since then he (my dog) always does his best to avoid the cactus. I think he still has nightmares about the incident. I may have to get rid of the plant. I love my dog too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My dog once got in a fight with my cactus plant. The cactus won. Since then he (my dog) always does his best to avoid the cactus. I think he still has nightmares about the incident. I may have to get rid of the plant. I love my dog too.
Haha, poor thing, I hope it wasn't too painful for him! Fortunately my dog doesn't attack my plants, but he sometimes barks at shrubs in our garden. For some reason they annoy him:p

Reaction score
Another thread prompted me to post this. This is only a list of 10 but there are so many more out there that you may have and not even know. For the sake of your children, pets, and other peoples children... please research the plants you have in your home or going to buy to check if they are toxic or not. This does not mean you can't have it, just make for sure pets and children can not get to it.

• Philodendron
  • Pothos
  • Arrowhead
  • Lily
  • Peace Lily
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Oleander
  • Caladium
  • Mother-In-Law's Tongue
  • Ivy
I suppose these would make terrible salad ingredients then. Do you have any idea of the effects of any of these plants on human health? I'm just curious to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If they're toxic to children chances are they're also toxic to adults, the only difference being is weight plays a large factor in effectiveness. Since children are much lower in weight, lower doses affect them more than adults. We have more weight so an amount that will make a child sick won't affect us the same way. For an adult to be equally affected, we'd just have to ingest more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa

I don't think you need to get rid of the plant. He obviously remembers that it hurt him, so he's not likely to get close enough to let it hurt him again. Animals are a lot cleverer than many people think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I suppose these would make terrible salad ingredients then. Do you have any idea of the effects of any of these plants on human health? I'm just curious to know.

It varies from plant to plant. Some make you very sick, others can kill. These plants are more dangerous to children and animals then adults though. I've heard some cause a reaction similar to food allergies too.

Ask a Question