extending a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We have an exisiting concrete area of about 1 meter from the base of the house. I want to extend and raise to have a patio made of slabs as stepping stones sort of thing and use cotswold gravel stone 20mm to add in between and bigger areas where no slabs will go.

I have removed soil extending the area to about 4 meters in total. I removed an ugly concrete path as have used that as hardcore and now i am planing on using Mot type1 sub base to fill the gaps and compact the are to level with existing concrete path. I then was planning on using grit sand all over the hardcore are and existing concrete to raise up and there lay the slabs and gravel. Does this sound good. I am using gravel for decorative purpose but also to help with drainage?
Any advice here much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum Natalia!

I know nothing about working with stone and concrete but I'm sure someone else here will come along and be able to offer advice :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have no knowledge of such things but it all sounds good. I love a usable outside area so your patio area will be great l'm sure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

We have an exisiting concrete area of about 1 meter from the base of the house. I want to extend and raise to have a patio made of slabs as stepping stones sort of thing and use cotswold gravel stone 20mm to add in between and bigger areas where no slabs will go.

I have removed soil extending the area to about 4 meters in total. I removed an ugly concrete path as have used that as hardcore and now i am planing on using Mot type1 sub base to fill the gaps and compact the are to level with existing concrete path. I then was planning on using grit sand all over the hardcore are and existing concrete to raise up and there lay the slabs and gravel. Does this sound good. I am using gravel for decorative purpose but also to help with drainage?
Any advice here much appreciated.
The most important thing you will do is rent a compactor machine to firmly strike a level and compressed base with the mot type 1. I also use a 8x8 inch flat headed compactor tool for corners andadetail edges. And After that, utilizing round metal pipe as straight edges up which to screed sand level because the pipe can be easily be adjusted to level and runaway drainage slope of at least 1/8 inch per foot for purpose of directing water away from the foundation. Google videos about screeding sand, and you will see the pipes in use.

Ask a Question