Tangled Up Peas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 10 snap pea plants that are about 5 feet high. They have been flowering plenty and I've gotten many great peas harvested. The problem I'm having is they started to outgrow their trellis and have no become tangled. On one very sunny and windy day all of the plants were pulling towards the sun. In addition to that, the wind was blowing to the west. The tops of the plants are now very tangled.

Should I try to untangle the plants and add additional trellis or just leave them as it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Thy do run away if conditions are good. Usually they are planted too close and create a nightmare picking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Picking has been okay so far. I attached a picture of how they look. I think i could lift them up and try to restake them with taller stakes. Is it worth the risk? Will the plant still bare fruit laid over like this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
20180626_151213.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd leave them alone and keep on picking! We have had sugar snaps that actually ignored the trellis and ran along the ground, making a mat. I just was careful where I stepped and picked peas to my heart's content. Your vines will continue to bear until the weather gets too warm.
Next year plant next to a skyscraper :)!

Ask a Question