Sweetcorn plants suddenly dying

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone...

I'm a total beginner when it comes to gardening and growing veggies.

I planted some sweetcorn plants a few months ago, and they surprisingly took off, and we harvested or first sweetcorn a few weeks ago.

In the time since, all of the sweetcorn plants have started dying. The leaves are wilting and browning, and the growing cobs have now shrivelled up and drying out.

It gets reticulated water every two days, and I give it an extra hand water a couple of times per week. I have pants in two locations and both are exhibiting the issues.

I live in Western Australia and we are just heading into Autumn.

Is there anything obvious that might be causing this?

I have attached a couple of pics for examples.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.!

Attachments

• 20200408_144826.jpg
    20200408_144826.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200408_144853.jpg
    20200408_144853.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Doesn’t sweet corn have a very small time window to be harvested? Milky juice in kernels, about 20 days after silk first appears, brown silk, green ears. Once the milky stage ends, it’s too late. Sweet corn doesn’t hold long out in the field, becomes starchy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks to you both...

I water them less now than I used to and they were thriving. I'll let the soil dry out a bit and see what happens.

As for the kernels, yeah I used that tip when harvesting or first cobs a couple weeks ago and they were awesome!
But even the new cobs have started to shrivel even though they're still white, do I don't think it's a case of them being left to long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The trick with growing corn is you need to plant a lot corn for pollination. Looking at your corn I can see it wasn't pollinated fully and that is caused from not enough corn planted. A 12 x12 corn plot will yield more corn than a single 120 ft row because of pollination. Plants planted close together will drop pollen on the other plants where in a single row, the pollen will land on the ground or in the wind.

Ask a Question