Can plants grow where an old rosebush had been?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
If you remove a rosebush, can you plant anything in the immediate area where the rose was? if YES, how soon can you plant the plants in the spot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A good question Louis. Not having tried it myself I don't see why you can't, the soil will probably need replenishing with nutrients first. Other roses shouldn't be planted in the same spot though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess it would all depend on if the rose was healthy or not. For instance, if the rose had a fungal disease like black spot or if the rose had thrips every year, then I don't think I would plant anything there until I had fixed the problem. But if the rose was healthy what could possibly be wrong with it. There might be a slight nutritional issue but something that is easily fixed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Generally, it is fine to plant anything where a Rose (Rosa) once grew. The only caveat is that if the Rose did have a contagious disease, planting a another Rose or other closely related plant would not be the best choice. Unfortunately most rosarians do that all the time in their rose gardens, and that (plus poor breeding) is why Roses are such disease-prone plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure. I mean, you're probably going to want to fertilize the soil a bit since roses are pretty heavy feeders for flowers and I'd try to plant something that isn't anywhere near roses genetically to avoid the scourge of any pathogens that might have concentrated in the area over time. Practically speaking, the way I would approach it is dig up the roses, if you haven't already. Dump a bunch of organic fertilizer according to package instructions on the soil (I like Job's). I'd probably pour in some extra soil inoculants like Real Grower's Recharge, some liquid kelp and some compost tea or just straight compost if you have it on hand, and then till the hell out of the soil until it's nicely mixed. If you really want to go all out dump about 100 red wigglers on your new soil too. May be throw in a little perlite for drainage and aeration if it seems heavy. Then I'd let that sit for a month and then plant whatever. Should grow pretty well if it's good sun.

Ask a Question