Sweet peas in cardboard root runners

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
For the first time I have planted sweet peas in card root runners. The pots are horrendously mouldy. Does this
matter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The white mold/fungi could be but is unlikely to be harmful to plants. All it is doing is slowly decomposing the cardboard. If you want to rid yourself of it just spray with hydrogen peroxide. This should rid the containers of any mold/mildew.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What strength do you recommend please, Chuck?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What strength do you recommend please, Chuck?
Just the basic out of the bottle 3% sprayed full strength. Most times this will make the fungi disappear. It depends on the type of fungi but 99% of the time it will kill the fungi/mold.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of buying hydrogen peroxide, another cheap way of killing mould is use 1 part bleach 10 parts water. As they are pea seeds, they will be OK. Save you buying up hydrogen peroxide. Now which fool has bought one tub! Ah, me! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good advice thanks

Don't try it with very small or refined seeds though. You can get away with it with alstroemeria, peas, beans seeds. Bleach is a household product. Hydrogen peroxide is a bit pricy to buy!

HarryS

Eternally Optimistic Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8B+
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Judith , I used cardboard tubes once for my Sweet Peas . Never again ! Ended up with a damp mould mess.
I now use clear plastic pint beakers with a few holes drilled in the bottom A pack of 20 from Asda , pretty cheap .
These are just ready to go in the greenhouse for planting out late March .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I was about to use the empty toilet rolls to do just this on advice from a friend. Maybe i should think again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Another solution for the mold is to use vinegar in a 1:20 part mix with water. It is an acid and will kill anything it touches so make sure you don't get any on the seedlings. It's way cheaper than HP and probably something you already have in your house. Definitely don't use ammonia/bleach as it is bad for the environment.

HarryS

Eternally Optimistic Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8B+
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Deborah , sweet peas like a deep root run. So plastic pint cups seem to do fine .

Ask a Question