Sweet Peas Help?

Reaction score
I'm new to gardening, this is my first summer testing out my green thumb. However, my sweet peas are starting to look like they are dying. Help any suggestions would be great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He Chuck, my location is Michigan!
Peas are cool weather vegetables. When they get to warm they go into decline. Freezing weather doesn't hurt the plants but it will kill the flowers. I think you might have planted them a little late.

Reaction score
Yeah I had a very good sweet pea crop myself, but then it just got way too hot for them and they slowly started to die. Only problems you are going to deal with is weather and over watering your plants. They love the cool weather, but once it starts to get hot they will end up hating life and will just stop producing and die.

Reaction score
So, is Fall the best time to plant sweet peas, to avoid the heat? Or is it really an issue of having to plant in the Spring/Summer AND being in an area that doesn't have very hot Summers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, is Fall the best time to plant sweet peas, to avoid the heat? Or is it really an issue of having to plant in the Spring/Summer AND being in an area that doesn't have very hot Summers?
Where I live in South Central Texas it is possible to have a crop of sweet peas but it all depends on the weather and pure luck. It is difficult to have a decent crop here. Freezing weather or frost doesn't kill the plants but it does kill the flowers. So if I were to plant the peas in the fall when it is cool enough for the plants to grow it would be freezing or frosting when the flowers bloomed. The same thing in late winter or early spring. The plants would grow but by the time it flowered it is too hot for the plant to grow. It all depends on your climate

Ask a Question