Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
15 September 2018 Sweet Potato Harvest
Posted on September 15, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/Septmber 2018/15 September 2018 Sweet Potato Harvest/HTML/15 September 2018 Sweet Potato Harvest
The sweet potato patch was harvested about ten pounds from 6 plants. The vegetation is extensive and the tubers are all around the plant within about a foot radius around the main stem. These are the strong purple type. They store well in a root cellar. One about the size of a wiener is quite filling. I usually bake them in a Dutch oven at 400F for about 50 minutes.
sweet%20potato%20018_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm doing sweet potato this year as well, although mine are container grown. As I think they will be restrained by the container I'm not sure there is any point to delaying harvest any longer. I'll probably harvest this weekend and go for another batch as we have some time before first frost.

How do you store your potatoes and how long do they last? I have read a little about curing them in a warm humid environment for several days before bringing indoor to dryer location. Do you do this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I dry them reasonably well after digging in a warm area (about a week) out of the Sun. I place them in a root cellar of sorts in the dark. They keep for several months with no deterioration.

They are a most healthy vegetable and a few go a long way in filling one up. My season here is almost too short but they grow well if the summer is not too adverse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. I don't have a root cellar option, the best I could do would be a dark cabinet that stays cool; ~70°

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Thanks. I don't have a root cellar option, the best I could do would be a dark cabinet that stays cool; ~70°

I built a small space in the basement and ran a pipe to bring in cold air. It is probably around 50 to 60 F. It helps. I keep garlic, onions, and potatoes in the area. Most of my preserved material is pressure canned in liter jars as a slurry/juice. This is kept at room temperature where there is space..

Ask a Question