Sweet 100 Tomato Plant Leaves Yellowing

Reaction score
Yeah, there is between 50-60 vines on the large plant growing. Each vine seems to make about 15 tomatoes. Some of them just began to ripen within the last week. So all seems on track in that category.

I have a liquid fertilizer that is a 16-19-29 mixture for tomatoes, again I'm entirely new to this and I'm not sure if that's optimum? I just started giving them this about 2 weeks ago when the yellowing started to take over, it freaked me out so I picked up some "tomato" fertilizer that is mixed in with water.

From what i've gathered, nitrogen encourages foliage growth and helps with chlorophyll production, phosphate helps the roots/flowers/fruits, and potassium helps the other two work better and thickens the cell structure and such. And at this stage, I needed something with a lower nitrogen count, and higher count of the other two. Truly, I wasn't so concerned with if it was organic fertilizer or not and I do not believe it is.

Good/bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Please read the threads in the Organic Gardening forum on this site named Fertilizers and Fertilizing- What difference does it make. Also the threads about soil and soil fertility. There are many threads there I think you will find quite informative

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, there is between 50-60 vines on the large plant growing. Each vine seems to make about 15 tomatoes. Some of them just began to ripen within the last week. So all seems on track in that category.

I have a liquid fertilizer that is a 16-19-29 mixture for tomatoes, again I'm entirely new to this and I'm not sure if that's optimum? I just started giving them this about 2 weeks ago when the yellowing started to take over, it freaked me out so I picked up some "tomato" fertilizer that is mixed in with water.

From what i've gathered, nitrogen encourages foliage growth and helps with chlorophyll production, phosphate helps the roots/flowers/fruits, and potassium helps the other two work better and thickens the cell structure and such. And at this stage, I needed something with a lower nitrogen count, and higher count of the other two. Truly, I wasn't so concerned with if it was organic fertilizer or not and I do not believe it is.

Good/bad?
Your fertiliser is OK as long as you intend to ditch the soil in your buckets after use.
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
I make my own tom feed, but you can buy something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growth-Tech...993&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+tomato+fertiliser
I'm sure Chuck can help with US propietary organic brands.

Reaction score
Yeah usually when the leaves turn yellow it is due to some pests that are killing the roots or they are getting too much water. I have had this happen in my garden on varies plants and it is kind of annoying because I won't water them and there will be like zero rain. I guess my soil is just good enough at trapping water.

Ask a Question