Sunshine ligustrum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I planted about 12 Sunshine Ligustrums about 2 years ago. They receive adequate sun. last year leaves were dropping but I fixed that through increased watering. Anyway, these shrubs have not grown at all since I put them in 2 years ago. I have fertilized but no change at all. Any ideas to help get these to grow?

thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

If the plants are healthy (?) but shoot growth is minimal, it may be due to the plant putting energy into root development. Plants do hormonally balance shoot growth and root growth. There is an old saying, often applied to vines, but accurate for other plants as well: The first year it sleeps, the second it creeps , the third, it leaps. The third year isn't always the magic number, but the idea is sound. Plants must establish their root system before vigorous shoot growth can occur.

Did you photo graph the shrubs immediately after installation? If so it would be interesting to compare the photo to the shrubs in their present state.

Sunshine Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense 'Sunshine'), in the Olive Family (Oleaceae), is a lutescent selection of an evergreen shrub native to China, Hainan, Taiwan, Tibet, and Vietnam.

Ask a Question