Sunlight Germination

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some seeds require sunlight for germination. So is there a general rule of thumb for how long the seed must be exposed to sunlight, i.e. minimum exposure time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Are you starting the seeds inside, or outside? I guess you would want to start them outside either direct sowing or in starter pots given your warm climate. It should be warm enough and sunny enough where you are to start them outside with sunlight approximating where you will be planting the seedlings. I've never worried about exposure time and have assumed it means press the seeds onto the soil but leave them exposed to natural light. Direct sun is generally not a good idea for tender seedlings. Even my most sun loving little seedlings appreciate a little protection from direct sun until they establish some roots. Cosmos, Zinnias, Tithonia can tolerate direct sun. Depends on what seeds you are planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you starting the seeds inside, or outside? I guess you would want to start them outside either direct sowing or in starter pots given your warm climate. It should be warm enough and sunny enough where you are to start them outside with sunlight approximating where you will be planting the seedlings. I've never worried about exposure time and have assumed it means press the seeds onto the soil but leave them exposed to natural light. Direct sun is generally not a good idea for tender seedlings. Even my most sun loving little seedlings appreciate a little protection from direct sun until they establish some roots. Cosmos, Zinnias, Tithonia can tolerate direct sun. Depends on what seeds you are planting.
I always start outside. This is just something I've noticed with various seeding instructions and just a question that popped in my head, with the latest seeding instruction of my Mexican Sunflowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Mexican Sunflowers grow wild here and are called Tithonia (Tithonia rotundifolia). I wouldn't bury them 1/2" deep. Let me see, those have arrow shaped seeds. i planted them with the pointed end pushed in the soil and left the wide end level with the soil so they can germinate exposed to the sun. I've been growing them from seed in the garden on and off for 8 years. It is not really a sunflower but an Asteraceae. The butterflies love them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's basically what I did -- gently pressed them into the soil, leaving them exposed to the sunlight -- except I was too lazy to manipulate the little seed so only the pointed section was pressed in:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
That's basically what I did -- gently pressed them into the soil, leaving them exposed to the sunlight -- except I was too lazy to manipulate the little seed so only the pointed section was pressed in:D
Oh, no,no,no,no it only works if the seed is inserted exactly perpendicular to the soil:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Really, the seeds will be fine and they will love growing at your wild place:)

Oh, and thanks for the link.

Ask a Question