Indoor plants without natural sunlight

Reaction score
There are two rooms in my new house that have no windows, and therefore have very little natural light. They are not completely dark, as there are windows close by, just not in the rooms themselves.

Do you know of any indoor plants that can successfully be grown in these conditions? Are there any house plants that actually prefer shade, or will at least cope with mostly artificial light?

Reaction score
There are quite a few out there, very durable and tolerant of all conditions. Peperomia, Chinese evergreen, dracaena, and snake plants are just a few of the varieties that you can try. Dieffenbachia is another good one but if you have cats I would not buy one. The leaves have a chemical that will cause their mouths to go numb - its nickname is "dumb cane". There are all kinds of lights available for plants and you can even get grow light bulbs that can be used in a regular lamp.

Reaction score
Thank you for this informative post. Those are some great suggestions. I appreciate the warning about the dieffenbachia, I wouldn't want my cats becoming numb!

I wasn't aware of those special light bulbs that you can use in normal lamps - that is something I will definitely look into.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I have been in a situation that had low light for plants I always used a grow bulb to help give the plants the lighting they required to grow.

Reaction score
Pat - Did you find the grow bulbs much more expensive to use than regular light bulbs? I would like to have plants in both of my windowless rooms, but i also need to be conscious of my budget when it comes time for the electricity bill to land through my letterbox. I wouldn't imagine they would cost too much more to run, would they?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are two rooms in my new house that have no windows, and therefore have very little natural light. They are not completely dark, as there are windows close by

Devil's Ivy and English Ivy would do well.... but I would still, once in a while, give them a little bit of time next to the window to make them extra happy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have welcome plants in a pot that adorn our living room. There is no natural light since there is no window although the doorway is quite okay with the glass door. And to give it some health food (sunshine) we put it outside for 1 day in a week at least so it can feel the fresh air and sunlight too. When a plant has no sunshine for 2 weeks, the leaves will turn yellow and eventually it will die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had peace lily, golden pothos, and rubber plant before inside with very little direct sunlight! These plants are also know to clean out toxic in the home.

Reaction score
Most plants that are marked as ''indoors'' plants do well indoors no matter what kind of light you expose them to, photos comes to mind though. Of course there are plants that are better suit for shade or artificial light, like for example the peace lily, Christmas cactus, peacock plant, etc. There are so many to choose from :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Peace Lilies grow well in shade. I have one and I keep it in the darkest place in my apartment, far away from the window. It's really healthy, I think it will bloom soon:)

Reaction score
For our indoor plants at home we had this what we called "Snake plants" or "Sanseviera"... It is just easy to take care of this plant eve there is no natural sunlight inside the house and even you will not water this plant everyday they will still grow. My mother puts a pot of snake plants in every corner of our house even in the bathroom. As they said snake plants are considered as air purifier when you put them inside the house. And we just put the plants outside once a week to get a natural sunlight.

Ask a Question